1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will PC133 RAM work in a comuter that uses PC100?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redsox13, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redsox13

redsox13 Thread Starter

I have talked to guys who own computer stored and he said that because my computer is older ( about three years) and is already running one sisded PC 100 RAM it will not work with PC 133 RAM. will PC 133 RAM work in my computer as long as it is one sided?

will it make my system crash?

2. brianF

brianF

Some will, some won't, it depends on the exact motherboard you have and if it's compatible

3. aineo

aineo

My experience is it won't make your system crash, but it wil not detect the RAM if it is the wrong size. You can go to www.crucial.com and see if your motherboard is made to accept PC133. Also, if you look around, you can still occasionally find RAM that will work in both. Good luck though, it is getting extremely rare.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's actually not normally the fact that the memory is PC100 or PC133, but rather the design of the MB and the density of the RAM chips that are used on the memory module. Usually, the higher density chips will result in detecting only half the memory capacity of the module.

5. Deznuts

Deznuts

Sometimes it works sometimes it won't, its basically just a 50/50 chance. All motherboards are different, however most will clock back ram. Hence a board that will run pc 133 will almost always run pc 100, just not vice versa.

6. redsox13

redsox13 Thread Starter

how do I see if my motherboard will detect it? what do I searcg. all I knoe is that my motherboard id REDFOX or something

7. Rockn

Rockn

Put it in and find out. More than likely it won't boot with it in.

8. redsox13

redsox13 Thread Starter

I don't have the RAM I am considering buying it but I will not buy it if it doesn't work.

9. Deznuts

Deznuts

Well find out what motherboard you have an do some research on the manufacturers website to see if you can have 133mzh ram on your board if you cant physically test it out first hand.

10. redsox13

redsox13 Thread Starter

As painfully obvious as it is I will admit that I know nothing about computers. So how do I find out what kind of mother board I have?

11. zeddy

zeddy

Given that you will notice no improvement in terms of if it works it will run at 100Hz then why not buy 100hz sticks. If it was me I would get a stick from eBay dirt cheap and put it in.

12. redsox13

redsox13 Thread Starter

256 MB hips are far from dirt cheap. supply and demand makes them crazy expensive.

13. zeddy

zeddy

Depending on your board and os anything more than 512mb in total may actually slow the system down.

How much ram do you have now and how much more do you want and for what purpose?

EBay have got 128mb pc100 listed for around $10-15

14. redsox13

redsox13 Thread Starter

ok I have identified my mother board now how to I know what kind of RAM it will handle?

15. zeddy

zeddy

Don't keep us in suspense - list the details of your mobo!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice