1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will reformat affect network/router/cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jim624, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

I have two desktops and two laptops...all networked together. My Main Desktop is the original computer that I connected the Cable modem to....then I got a dlink router and networked them all together..... My question is this....if I reformat the Main Desktop will it affect my router and cable modem ?? Or, can I just disconnect them from my Main desktop, reformat it and then reconnect them to the main and it'll all be good. The main O/S is XP as is the other desktop and one of the laptops...the other laptop is Win 2000. I have had the main desktop for two years and it's time to reformat.

I am thinking that the reformat will not affect the router and modem....cuz I can turn off the main and still have LAN access to the other three and the internet.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

A reformat on a machine on a network will have no effect on the router or modem, or anything else on the network. It is a good diea to disconnect from the internet for the installation of the operating system. After the installation, you may have to install the NIC drivers to reconnect to the network

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!