1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will replacing hdd can fix blue screen of death?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaysonjohn.reyes, Oct 27, 2019.

1. jaysonjohn.reyes

jaysonjohn.reyes Thread Starter

My cousin is willing to give his old pc to me but the problem is he said that when I turn it on the blue screen will immediately pops on.
    I have my own pc and I want to put my current hdd to it just to test if the hdd really is the problem of his unit. but im worried if my hdd will be infected of this so called blue screen of death too. is it really safe for me to try testing my hdd to his unit? Thank you so much and God Bless.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

A blue screen failure could be due to missing or corrupted system files on the HDD. Why they are missing or corrupted could, but not necessarily, be due to a failing hard drive. Unless your computer has the same or very similar motherboard as your brother's motherboard, there is a very good chance you would get boot errors trying to power up his computer with your HDD. Your HDD would not get infected with a Blue Screen of Death, and it would still work on your computer when you put it back.

A better method would be to boot his computer from a bootable CD or USB drive containing HDD diagnostics tools. Many HDD manufacturers offer ISO files that can be used to create such bootable CDs or a USB drive. If the HDD passes the diagnostics test, a clean installation of the operating system might be the best way to restore the operation of his computer. How you reinstall the operating system would depend on what recovery methods are offered by the manufacturer of the computer.

FYI, the TechTips and Reviews forum is for sharing tips you know of, not asking for tips on how to solve a problem. I will ask a moderator to move this to our hardware forum.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice