1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will the same startup disk work?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeAgain------, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

My suspicion is that a startup floppy disk is DOS driven and not operating system specific, but I'd like to ask you more knowledgable people anyway.

I created a windows startup disk(you know, to delete primary, extended drives...and to partition a hard drive, etc.)while using Win98SE as my operating system.

I'm getting delivery of a new PC loaded with XP pro in a few days. I have a Win2000 installation CD and want to put it on the new computer also on it's own partition. I know that in setting up a dual O/S computer you always install the older O/S first.

So what I will want to do is to boot my new computer in DOS with the startup floppy that I already have(from my Win98 system)...delete the new hard drive, partition it and install Win2000 first(on the primary drive partition)...and then XP second on the extended partition.

(Does that sound right?)

And my main question is...the same startup floppy that I've used on my Win98SE computer will work on the new PC to do that, Right?

(anything else I should know about before I attempt all that?)

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Win98 startup disk will work fine.

EDIT:

You can also just boot from one of the install CD's and change to an A prompt and partition/format from there.

3. Del

Del

I use a Win 98 or ME startup disk with both Win 2000 and XP, will work fine, don't even have to be from your computer..

4. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

hi

U will not need a start-up disk, in your bios boot form cd-rom, then when u put the win 2k set-up disk in it will boot from it.

This will give u the option to delete the currennt partition and install win2k, but before u do that make note of all the hardware u have on the system and download specific drivers that u will need. So MAKE SURE U DOWNLOAD THE REQUIRED DRIVERS 1st.

Thank You U can also create win 2k bootdisk from your win 2k cd, u will need 4 floppies and use makeboot32 on the cd to do this

http://www.labmice.net/ this site will help u more on how to succesfully dual boot.

5. joeAgain------

Thanks guys,

I'm totally unfamiliar with XP. Where would I look to find all the required drivers? And then how would I back them up, please?

6. Mollie

Mollie

If you're planning on using any of your old hardware with your new PC, it's probably not a bad idea to go to the specific manufacturers' sites to make sure the hardware is compatible with Win2k and/or XP and download the appropriate drivers.

You can save the drivers by burning them onto a cd (if you have a cd-burner) or by copying them onto a floppy disk, if they'll fit.

Or, even better, if the hardware isn't essential to running your computer (i.e., printer, scanner, etc.), just wait until you're able to connect to the internet on your new computer. That way you can just download the driver files directly to your computer without worrying (for now) about how to save them.

Of course, if you're not using any old hardware all of the above is moot. :D

Mollie
    _ _ _
    "Sarcasm is just one more service I offer."

7. joeAgain------

I'm going keep the current computer for the rest of the family to use(5 other people) just like it is....except I'm going to swap the CD-ROM from the new computer with the DVD burner that's currently on my old one.

My old computer didn't come with the DVD burner, I added it along with a CD burner. I don't remember either of them coming with any drivers, only burner software. Am I wrong and a drivers were in the burner software? I know I did upgrade the firmware on my Pioneer DVD burner.

It's been quite awhile and I may have forgotten. Does a CD burner and a DVD burner both require drivers?

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

shouldnt need drivers for a burner/cdrom. xp will have those...main drive concerns are video card, sound card, modem, printer/scanner

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice