1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will third-party DSl modem work w/frontiernet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Williampreza, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Williampreza

Williampreza Thread Starter

I've had frontiernet DSL for about a year now. My setup is a (ISP-provided) Speedstream 5200 DSL modem/router (it's a router, but it only has one port), connected to twisted-pair phone line (filters in place) on WAN side, then connected via ethernet cable to a Netgear wireless router/4-port switch. The problem I'm having is that I have two routers and the complex port-forwarding that requires. Sooo, I tried simplifying matters by purchasing a Netgear ADSL modem/4portswitch/wireless router/firewall/everything. I want to reduce my setup down to POPL-filter-Netgear-LAN, BUT just as I was about to hook everything up, I called Frontier to ask if I needed to update them on the new MAC address for the new modem. That's when the tech at Frontier told me it wouldn't work. According to him, they have Speedstream put some sort of proprietary programming put on their modems before they leave the factory, and modems without this programming won't work on their network. I'm ready to roll, but should I even try it? Is what he's saying a load of BS? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks,
    Will

2. coulterp

coulterp

Frontiernet sounds States-side so obviously I couldn't answer with certainty, but it sure sounds like a load of bull.

But your tech support people may have been saying they use MAC address authenication and if so most Netgear routers (you don't mention the model) allow for MAC address cloning. So you could try cloning the MAC address of either the PC or the Speedstream 5200 modem/router into the Netgear and see if that gains you access.

I think you're going to have to suck-it -and-see if you want to find out! :)

3. Williampreza

Yup, they're lying *******s. It works fine, even using netgear's "setup wizard" (which never worked before on my weird network). Thanks!

4. Williampreza

Wow, sorry, I didn't think that was that bad of a word, but apparently it is.:confused:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I'm guessing that coulterp is correct--all you have to do is configure properly and maybe clone the old modem's MAC to the new modem/router.

But, if it doesn't work, your current setup will work without the double port forwarding if you connect to the Netgear via LAN instead of WAN port--see JohnWill's famous "connecting two SOHO broadband routers."

6. coulterp

coulterp

Agree totally with TerryNet - if you want to continue using the Speedstream 5200 DSL then the JohnWill "connecting two SOHO broadband routers." adivce is the way to go.
    It was just I thought you had already purchased the Netgear ADSL modem/4portswitch/wireless router/firewall and wanted to proceed on the basis of using that.
    But it looks like you're up and running. Good luck!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/450617