1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will this be applicable for a 2nd hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wildwaffle, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildwaffle

wildwaffle Thread Starter

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What motherboard?
    You can put 2 PATA drives on each IDE port.Are your current hard drive and optical drive both on the same port, or on different ones?
    If your PC only has one IDE port then you will have SATA ports, so a SATA drive might be a better option for you. (unless you already have the drive).

The card you show will allow you to add 4 PATA drives, but no sense buying it if your motherboard already has the ports you need.

HTH

Jerry

3. wildwaffle

Well I don't have anymore ports on my motherboard that's why I needed this. I already have the hard drive which is why I need something with ATA instead of SATA. My motherboard is an EVGA 650i DDR2...can't remember the other specs off hand.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Your MB only has the one IDE and 4 SATA ports. An IDE card would be cheaper than a new SATA drive for sure.

Last add-in IDE card I used was ISA, so it's been a while. Can't give any recommendations as to current brands, but I've had good luck with Promise, SIIG and 3ware for SCSI/SATA in the past. They are a bit more expensive though.
    The one you linked should do the trick, but from the one review it might not work too well with CD-ROMs/ DVD-ROMs.

Jerry

5. wildwaffle

Yeah, I just need it for a hard drive hook up, not CD/DVD drive. Thank you for your help!

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can use the Thread Tools at the Upper Right (above the first post) to mark this thread Solved.:)
    [​IMG]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice