1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will this cpu / mb combo work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jones, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have an Intel D845GLLY motherboard with a 1.7ghz (Willamette) P4 socket 478 processor at 400mhz FSB. I may be able to obtain a 2.4 ghz (Northwood) P4 socket 478 processor at 533mhz FSB. Is it possible to simply drop the new chip into the board and startup? I realize that the FSB will only run at 400mhz because of the motherboard, but is there anything else that would cause a problem?

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

It does not seem that your mobo will support that cpu as it can't seem to downclock the 533 fsb to 400 fsb like mobo's downclock faster memory. This link states 400 fsb max cpu or damadge my result to mobo,cpu,or both. Read the entire page to see what Intel has to say about unsupported cpu's. http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/ly/ly_proc.htm

3. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I guess you could try it with a P06 or higher bios,whatever the latest is for that mobo,if you want to take the chance.I would not!

4. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Well, seeing as how I can't afford to replace both pieces if they fry, I'm going to err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry. I kinda thought it would be a longshot, but wanted to ask just in case. Thanks

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

6. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

I've already got that version installed. I try to keep up-to-date with drivers and updates as best I can.

The more I think about it, the more I think trying to install the Northwood would be a bad idea. :) Eventually I will upgrade the core pieces, but for now it'll have to wait.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Even the system booted with the Northwood 2.4Ghz/533Mhz FSB CPU it would only run at 1900Mhz since the bus would be limited to 100Mhz instead of the 133Mhz required.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice