Will this drive be compatible with my motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bonecrusher123

hey guys i'm wanting to buy the new WD Caviar Black 640GB with 64mb of cache.

i can't seem to bring up the right drive, but here's a similar one with 1tb of space:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=792

my mboard is from 2005 so i don't know if it will support this drive.

here's my mboard:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=DzbA8hgqchMBOVRz

http://www10.dealtime.com/xPF-ASUS-...-4DDR-Aud-GbE-PCI-Ex16-PCI-Ex3-PCIx3-ATX-SATA

does anyone know what other upgrades i can get for the mboard?

It has the older SATA 1 / SATA 150 port, so you won't benefit pretty much anything from a top speed hard drive, get something of lesser price and noise instead, like Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 or Samsung Spinpoint F1/F3 or WD Caviar Blue.
Other upgrades are pretty useless to do with such an outdated motherboard. Top end CPUs cost around $150-200 used and are very very easily outperformed by modern $50-60 CPUs. Memory won't really benefit you much without other upgrades and is also quite pricey.

Any mechanical HD won't benefit with SATA 3/6GBs interfaces. They simply top out at about 120~150MB/s at best.

This 1TB $85 will give the same performance, bigger in size for $5 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1tb_hard_drive_seagate-_-22-148-433-_-Product (free shipping)

Very quiet drive too... I picked one up in a retail box for $75 :)

The performance difference with cache at 16<>32<>64 is very small, especially with your older board.

Upgrades for your board? You don't upgrade a motherboard... well, other than BIOS. But you maybe able to change the CPU (limited selection) and add memory. But we have no idea what CPU and MEMory you have.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
The A8N-E motherboard does support SATA 3GB/s.

Bonecrusher123

It has the older SATA 1 / SATA 150 port, so you won't benefit pretty much anything from a top speed hard drive, get something of lesser price and noise instead, like Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 or Samsung Spinpoint F1/F3 or WD Caviar Blue.
Other upgrades are pretty useless to do with such an outdated motherboard. Top end CPUs cost around $150-200 used and are very very easily outperformed by modern $50-60 CPUs. Memory won't really benefit you much without other upgrades and is also quite pricey.
alright, thanks bro.

i'm mainly wanting the black because it's supposedly much more reliable and also because of the cache and i can always move it to another PC anyway.

right now i have an A64 3000+ with 1gb of DDR1 RAM.

i see what you mean about the 2nd hand CPU's and i'm not even sure where i could pick these up.

the DDR1 RAM sticks are about the same price as DDR3 so i guess it's not even worth upgrading?

The A8N-E motherboard does support SATA 3GB/s.
Ah, alright. Supposed it didn't because the specs just listed "4x SATA ports" or whatever with no mention of the version.

@OP

Yeah, pretty much nothing else is worth upgrading. Compiler listed some more sophisticated and knowledge-based answers to your hard drive question though, pretty please pay attention to him.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
1GB of RAM is OK for Windows XP, you may get some benefit from going to 2GB. If you are running Windows Vista or 7 then going to 3GB of RAM would be a big improvement.

Going to a dual core CPU would would improve performance significantly. However you'd have to look for old/used processors in the 939 socket as they are no longer sold new.

Going to a new AM2/AM3 system with a new AMD processor and DDR3 RAM would be the better path to follow and you would get a real worthwhile upgrade.

Even with SATA 2.0 (3GB/s) - mechanical HDs aren't much faster over SATA 1.x. SATA 3.0, is where SSDs will really start to shine. So far, only 1-2 drives are SATA 3.0 and max out at about 350MB/s... so theres room to grow that performance to about 500MB/s!

black because it's supposedly much more reliable and also because of the cache and i can always move it to another PC anyway.
Black is no more reliable over Blue or most other drives. Black series is 7200RPM with highest cache... in the real world, its about the same as the 1TB Seagate with 32mb cache. And pretty much any 500+ GB HD will have 32mb cache. Only TiVO 24/7 class drive and older / smaller models (80~250gb) models will have 8~16mb.

The ONLY kind of drives that makes a noticeable performance difference are SSDs.

XP runs fine with 1GB. Windows7 runs business software fine with 1GB. Recommend 2~4GB for gamers and heavy users. I wouldn't run Win7 on your hardware... I have tested Win7 on AMD-XP CPUs... it ran good, compared to vista. Just save for a future upgrade. You can still buy that HD now and use later... but keep in mind you should do a clean install of the OS onto the drive.

2nd hand AMD X2 939 CPUs are worth about $5~10... if you can find them. Todays bottom end $65 AMD x2 CPUs are as fast as 2006/7's AMD X2 6400 ($500+).

For a future upgrade, here is what you're looking at to keep in mind:

$55~105 = AMD X2 X3 or X4 class CPU... which ever is best deal at the time.
$85~90 = Gigabyte 785G motherboard (4 memory slots, PCIe, expandable) or an 800series board.
$50~90 = 2 or 4GB of DDR3 memory.
$45~85 = ATX 2.2~2.3 power supply (Quality brand Thermaltake, OCZ, Antec, Corsair) - depending on your needs.
(ie: regular desktop = less. Gamer system = more)
$100 = Window7 Home Edition OEM

About $350~500.. with Win7 being the most expensive part.

crjdriver

The WD black series has dual motor supports and a 5yr warranty; the blue series has a single motor support and a 3yr warranty.

FWIW I always buy the black series; the dual motor supports and the extra warranty are well worth the extra few $.

Bonecrusher123

thanks bro!

what is dual motor support?

do you think the extra cache is worth it? it's like an extra $15 from 32mb cache to 64mb

Bonecrusher123

forgot to ask if a 640gb drive would be 'too big' for my mboard? could my mboard recognise such a large drive?

thanks

Bonecrusher123

SATA, WinXP, NTFS - no problem.
alright, thanks bro.

are you sure it will be ok? ive been googling, but cant find anyone who has the same board and also used a large sized HDD. someone else on here said the drive may be too big because my board is so old.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online