1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will this GPU fit my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vicsd, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicsd

vicsd Thread Starter

GPU: https://goo.gl/HgUJwu
    Current MB: https://goo.gl/iaDFLF
    I ask this question because my motherboard has a PCI-E "2.0" x16 slot and the GPU I want says it requires a PCI-E "3.0" x16 slot. I remember hearing somewhere that 3.o is backwards compatible but i'd like to know before this big purchase. Thanks!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I can tell you yes it will work.

Basically what's going to happen is the GPU will be bottlenecked unless it has a 3.0 slot.

So if you're having REALLY bad performance in a game or games you may want to opt for a newer system altogether so you don't lose bandwidth on the PCI-E bus.

If you tell me your specs of your current computer and what game you wanna play I can give you my opinion.

Also make sure that you have a big enough Power supply to run the new card as well.

Also remember that a 1070 is already going to be slightly bottlenecked simply by the CPU support as well, let alone the chipset of the board as well.

Again, if I knew more about what exactly you are wanting to accomplish I can be of more help.

Cheers

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

What's the complete description of the AMD processor in your computer?

I agree with Andrew.
    The combination of using a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and what processor is in your computer is going to prevent that graphic card from using its full potential.

Something else that shouldn't be overlooked.
    What's the brand name and complete model number and wattage of the power supply in your computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------

metallica5456 likes this.
  4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Frank makes a good point. You don't want to install a 200$ graphics card into a system with a 30$ PSU

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Current PCIe 3.0 cards still happily run on PCIe 2.0 x16 slots with minimal or no loss at all. The AMD FX processor may hamper performance a bit but still be very good. The power supply is where I'd be more concerned about.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice