1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will this harm my SATA drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stranglehold, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stranglehold

stranglehold Thread Starter

I just setup a new ASUS mb with build in nVidia RAID. I have 3 SATA drives configured for RAID5 and I want to test it out to see how it will handle a failure of one of the drives.

Will unplugging the data or power cable on one of the drives cause any harm to it? This will be done while the PC is powered on. Would ether the data or power be better or worse than the other?

I have hot swapped floppy drives before, but this is the 1st time I have wanted to test a RAID setup.

Thanks.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Unplugging a component while it is powered up is not a recommended testing procedure. SOmeone with more knowledge of SATA drives might be able to give you an answer, but I would not do it!

3. stranglehold

I figure as much, but how can I test it! :lol:

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes it will harm either the controller or the drive...

You've been lucky, you NEVER hotswap a drive of any type if the controller/drive is not specifically designed for it...

JMO...

5. stranglehold

When I did the floppy, I unplugged the power 1st, then the data.

I guess the only thing I will be able to test is a failure on startup, not a failure while running.

Thanks.

6. stranglehold

For what it's worth, there was a utility included with my MB. It is nVidia MediaShield, and it looks like it would allow hot swapping of drives.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The nvidia controller supports hot swapping of drives. I have never tried it so I cannot tell you if it works or not.
    It is one of those things that makes me nervous to try.

BTW do not hot swap any device that does not support hot swapping.

FWIW why not just unplug a drive while the system is powered off. Now power up and see if your system will boot, etc.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

:D :D :D :D :D ...

You and me both...

My number one rule on hot swapping is, if it's hardware (ie: built in to both devices and the motherboard), then "maybe" I can trust it ( I've seen some hot swappable drives fail at the swap, when testing ), if it's software, then I cringe when it is tried ( I don't trust software anything in this case )...

You might get by with it, then again you might not ( IMHO it's going to be hit and miss )...

Yes...that's what I'd try too, that way you "should" be safe...

JMO...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice