Will this motherboard work?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bunny

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
I don't think it'll fit. Most eMachines need a Micro-ATX motherboard not an ATX size board.
Most Micro-ATX boards come with onboard video but that can be disbaled if you want to use an AGP video card.

You'll almost certianly need to a repair installation of Windows as it usually doesn't like drastic changes to the motherboard as when its replaced. So make sure you have a Windows CD handy.

Here's one such board with an Intel Chipset: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128222

You can get cheaper boards but with VIA or SiS chipset rather then an Intel chipset. And if you stay with an Intel chipset you may not have to Reinstall/Repair your Windows installation.

Bunny

Will that motherboard use the current ram that I have, which is pc 2100?

Also, my emachines didn't come with any restore cd's to reinstall windows xp, but i borrowed a friend's before, which was used for a dell computer, and I was able to reinstall Windows Xp fine.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Yeah it'll work. Your Windows Xp License number that you must use is on the back of the Emachines tower.

Bunny

If I get this MB, I'm going to have it professionally installed (Don't trust myself to do so). Is there anything I need to make sure I tell them or give them? My current videocard is PCI, but I've got a Radeon 9600XT handy to put in the new one as soon as it's installed.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well I'd have them install the new video card right away.

You may also see what they have for motherboards; they may have somthing cheaper or better.

Bunny

Alright, so Just give them the motherboard, computer (of course), video card, and that Windows XP cd right?

I guess they'll more than likely be able to update all of the drivers for everything and remove the old ones as well?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Yes, they should. They shouldn't need the CD either, provided you give them your Windows XP License number which is affixed to the back of the computer - but thats up to them if the require your CD or if all they require is your license number.

Bunny

Alright, well thank you very much, you've been more than helpful. I'll let you know if any problems arise.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online