1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will this ram work in my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dez_666, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

I have an Asus Maximus Formula (not special edition) with 2x CM2X1024-6400C4 corsair ram currently in it. I am looking to buy new ram, mostly for better data transfer rates, but i am also considering getting more ram (4gb). i am well aware of the ram limitations of 32 bit systems, which i have.

anyways, i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227347 but i am wondering about compatibility. the asus site says i can use ram running at 1200MHZ but only if i 'overclock'. where might i find instructions on how to do this? i know a bit about overclocking processors and video cards, but not ram :confused:.

i checked the asus site for the Memory Qualified Vendor List and it said that OCZ was okay for 1200mhz, but it did not specify a model as it did for other speeds such as 800mhz. :(

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

because i am looking to get faster ram :)

the ram i posted earlier that i was interested in has a data transfer rate about 30% faster than my current ram.

4. BG-0

BG-0

5. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

what i meant by faster is, my current ram has a peak bandwidth of ~6400MB/s.

getting ram that runs at 1200MHZ will get me a data bandwidth of ~9600MB/s.

6. BG-0

BG-0

Actually, now thinking of it... The RAM you linked propably is 1066, or so, by stock, and the 5-5-5-18 timings apply only when at that speed. Meaning that for example this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197 is better, but I'm not sure if you can overclock it to 1200, but anyways, it's propably not worth it. (overclocking to 1200 I mean.)
    The peak data bandwidth isn't everything about the RAM. The timings make quite a big difference.

Pro opinions and knowledge welcome. hint hint.

EDIT: just to notice, the purpose you use your computer for is a factor when deciding about the RAM to use.. I guess.

7. badders

badders

You'll have to ditch your current RAM to use the new stuff to it's full capacity, otherwise if you just add the faster RAM, you'll be limited to the speeds/latencies of the existing.

8. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

i am quite aware, but thank you for pointing that out. i plan on using my old ram in a different machine, if i do not get more of the same ram that i have. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice