1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will this ram work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kkhimji, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkhimji

kkhimji Thread Starter

When trying to install 2 x 256 rd ram rimms in my dell, the computer doesn't turn on after i put ram in . It isn't power supply, but may be hardware problem

Can anyone help?

Also will the ram be useable again or won't it work?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Does your MB support RDRAM and in the configuration you are trying to add them?

3. kkhimji

kkhimji Thread Starter

yes it currently contains rd ram but i am not sure if the rd rimms are the correct ones. they fit in perfectly though (samsung rd rimms in dell dimension p4 1.5ghz)

4. Rockn

Rockn

Well ya just can't throw any old memory in any PC and expect it to work. RDRAM has to be added in pairs and has to be registered and should match the bus speed you are currently running at.

5. kkhimji

kkhimji Thread Starter

yes they were installed in pairs, but even if they arent at correct speed, will that cause the pc to not even start up when replaced with the original ram?

6. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Yep, RDRAM is very very picky.
    On my last mother board they had to be CORSAIR or KINGSTON, otherwise it would not boot. It wouldn't even recognize it in BIOS
    The mother board I had was an ASUS P4T sytle MoBo.
    RDRAM is very, very picky.

Oh yeah, so is every other memory type for that matter, especially in a proprietary PC such as Dell or Gateway!

7. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Research before purchase, my brotha!

8. kkhimji

kkhimji Thread Starter

ok but can i sell the ram or wont it work at all even on compatible machines?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice