1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will This System Run Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldjunk, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I recently found a custom built computer from 2010. I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate.

It has two 2 TB HDDs, another 60 GB HDD and a 380 W power supply.

The motherboard is a Nvidia GeForce 9300/nForce 703i (9/DX10 Hybrid SLI).

It has two Pentium Dual-Core, E6700 @ 3.20 Ghz CPUs.

Can this system run Windows 10 without glitches?

Also, should the 3 HDDs be configured in RAID-0?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The system shoud run fine with Windows 10.

The HDD must ALL be the same Size to configure a RAID-0

oldjunk likes this.
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually hard drives do not have to be the same size for raid0 however with dissimilar size drives, you lose some capacity. As an example if you have a 1TB drive and a 2TB drive, the raid array will be 2TB [twice the size of the smaller drive] Losing 1TB of space.

Just my opinion; raid0 did have some use years ago as a performance boost to read/write speed. With the advent of ssd and M.2 nvme type drives, raid0 is less than useless.
    That is the chipset on the motherboard and not the make/model# of the board. First open the case and find out the exact brand and model# of the board. Once you know that, go to the support page for that board. See if win10 is listed as a supported operating system. If it is, great. If not, then win10 was never tested by the board mfg and the mfg is not providing drivers. This in and of itself does not mean it will not work; it means it was never tested and found to work.
    In the second example, you would be a beta tester; might work and it might not work.

My guess and it is only a guess since we do not know the board mfg, is that there will be no support for win10. The above referenced chipset is for socket 775 motherboards and those are now pretty old.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    oldjunk likes this.
  4. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I was under the assumption that the third smaller HDD was intended to hold the OS. It did automatically locate there when I installed Vista from XP. I have a 2012 Alienware laptop with 3 HDDs that needs to be configured in RAID0. This machine had an original 8.1 OS installed. So, you're saying that configuring in RAID0 isn't necessary for the custom built machine?

When I can get back into the computer I'll return with the MB manufacturer information.

I haven't been online with this machine, yet, but it runs very fast. I'm not certain it was ever used by the former owner. It was immaculate inside. Found it last Friday, set on the curb.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you do not have to have the drives in raid however IF the drives were in raid, you either have to zero fill the drives or boot into the raid bios and break or delete the array. Either way will return the drives to status as single drives.

6. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    The 2 TB drives will function normally if not configured in RAID? They'll store consecutive data freely?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

They will store whatever you want. It would be really helpful if you posted exact specs ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact processor, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.

oldjunk likes this.
  8. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    When I get back into it I'll be as specific as possible.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice