1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Will this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j0t, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j0t

j0t Thread Starter

Hello, I had a question about my current motherboard, I bought a pre built pc about a year ago and I want to upgrade. I was wondering if my motherboard is capable of handling a GTX 1060 6gb sc 1 fan, my motherboard model is a G11CD-K. I've googled and couldn't find any info on it.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. j0t

j0t Thread Starter

I ordered a new psu as well (600 watts). My psu is 280watts right now I believe, I don't know the branding. As for my gfx card, I have a 1050 2gb

4. austinpinto

austinpinto

i would have ordered a 750v psu just to be safe also i would go for evga with atleast 80+b power rating

5. RT

RT

Hoping this will be helpful, I have GTX 1050 Ti and it doesn't even require a power cable.
    (Yup, freaked me out when I opened up the case!)
    It is a Dell OEM type card, just a naked PCB with a small bottom fan to look at it.
    Having said that, it's still an Nvidia product, with proper architecture, but just bare bones.

The GTX 1060 6gb version you want seems a pretty robust card and the minimum recommend PSU is 400w.
    So the 600w PSU you ordered ought to be enough.

However I do agree with austinpinto that more is better, and you won't to go wrong with an EVGA Bronze PSU. Very reliable. But you've already ordered something, and it will be fine.

And you've probably seen all this, but just in case :)
    Also see that your motherboard can handle a GTX 1080, all the GeForce 10 series, so I don't see a problem with a GTX 1060 there.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. j0t

j0t Thread Starter

Thanks man, I really appreciate your reply. I actually did order the EVGA Bronze PSU, it came with a deal on newegg today whenever you buy a card you get that completely free, so I couldn't pass up a deal like that.

7. RT

RT

:cool: I hope it all works out for you, I think it will, please let us know!
    (And that sounds like a good deal to me too!)

8. j0t

j0t Thread Starter

Everything is in, but I seem to be having a problem, My gpu fan speed is set to 0 on auto (msi afterburner). I got a notification in the bottom left saying 0 RPM broken or something like that, any idea what's going on?

https://gyazo.com/0a9114f2ec23ce0972611ec2fdae5066 MSI afterburner
    https://gyazo.com/1da6dba6f76e2b442f30a3dc1a086424 <----- warning

9. RT

RT

thanks for the screen shots,
    it doesn't seem like your system is overheating, but I wonder if the fan is working at all.
    Since you've opened your case, should be easy to tell if the GPU card is actually spinning it's fan.

And did you do a proper uninstall/installation?
    By that I mean a proper uninstall of your previous graphics hardware, drivers and all, before you put in the new card.
    Again I refer you to The User Guide look at page 8.

But with brand names (like MSI, PNY, EVGA, etc.) you'll often get other software included, which can monitor temps and fan speeds, etc. a benefit of the card's manufacturer.

But what I'm asking is does it all work for you, or are you just worried about the software notifications?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  10. j0t

j0t Thread Starter

I actually did a little more research and I seen that, the GPU fan will not actually spin up unless I exceed 60C. But yeah everything is all good now I played a match of csgo and the temps stayed around 120-130F, the fans are working just not how I would've thought haha

RT likes this.
  11. RT

RT

Well, me neither about the fan my friend, but it seems like every thing is under control.
    I too, would have been leery about the "warnings" and I see you've already marked this as "Solved" so I wish you good gaming! :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice