Will using a VPN connection prevent you from being hacked

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andynic

If you use VPN will it safguard you from hackers from stealing information from your computer or gaining access to personal data or installing malware or spyware on you computer?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) secures your connection from your computer to the server it's connecting to, so no-one outside of that network can snoop on you

You are still vunerable if you use the VPN and go to unsafe websites / downloading files that has Malware.

You are still vunerable if you use the VPN and go to unsafe websites / downloading files that has Malware.

How to identify unsafe website? like there is no shield, no lock pad icon on firefox. Is there anything else?

If you are talking about a VPN Service like NordVPN etc. Then the answer is 'no' to all your questions.

Hackers mainly target software vulnerabilities and launch attacks to them. Lets say you are using an old version of Chrome. If the hacker knows that, he would be able to launch an attack against your browser. That gets him into your machine. What he chooses to do after that is up to him. He can just browse around, or he can install malware, crypto ransomeware if he is money minded. I jjust chose the browser as an example. Security vulnerabilities can exist in all kinds of programs.

So the answer to that is to update ALL of your software. And then run Nessus vulnerability scanner to look for software vulnerabilities that still exist. Then stop using those software that have been identified as vulnerable and wait for patches from the vendor. (If the vendor cares about security)

Last edited:

andynic

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Is this the correct site for obtaining the Nessus vulnerability scanner?

If you want to keep your PC secure, having only one app for security is not enough for sure. What I do is use Norton antivirus and Suurfshark VPN. On top of that, you should also have so critical thinking, which means don't go to weird sites and don't click on random links

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How to identify unsafe website? like there is no shield, no lock pad icon on firefox. Is there anything else?
Depending on the browser, they usually will warn you by their database of bad sites With Microsoft Edge / Defender, you should be good. Defender seems to be a decent program from Microsoft now and a 3rd party one is not needed as they are usually more bloated and causes issues. If you are looking for ransomware 0sec protection, Sophos has this option, but generally these are more expensive

If you want to keep your PC secure, having only one app for security is not enough for sure. What I do is use Norton antivirus and Suurfshark VPN. On top of that, you should also have so critical thinking, which means don't go to weird sites and don't click on random links
I've seen that Surfshark is offering a special feature to "avoid" bad websites and also ads. It's the "Clean Web" feature right ? Because I didn't managed to find great info about how it works exactly (from a technical point of view)

One site states that : "When enabled, this feature enables you to safely and anonymously browse the Web as it helps you to block ads, malware, and trackers. Ads especially can be extremely intrusive and this VPN offers a perfect way to eliminate them. " - https://the-bestvpn.com/surfshark-review-test/

Which is... not very helping me to be honest... Can you actually customize and configure this feature ? Or it's untouchable from the point of view of us, customers?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In a lot cases using a VPN you are just paying someone to have access to your internet usage so they can sell your history.

Yes exactly that is why I'm still hesitant into getting a paid VPN... I've heard also good things about Mullvad. If anyone have had the chance to try it, i would love to hear from you

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The FREE ones are more likely to sell your information before a paid one. That is the way they make their monies.

You may want to make Quad9 your DNS server. They have a team of malware investigators and filter out bad sites. It's real simple to set up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online