1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sandyfeder, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandyfeder

sandyfeder Thread Starter

I have a very straightforward question: I am running WinXP Pro on my computer and I just got an external USB hard-drive to back up my data before I upgrade to VISTA.

My internal hard drive is NTFS file system, and the external drive is FAT32. My data backed-up perfectly.

However, I understand that VISTA is NTFS only (for the drive that it's installed on, which in my case will be the internal drive). I will be installing the VISTA OS on the internal drive, and using the external drive solely for backing up data.

I don't want to back up my data externally, upgrade my PC to VISTA, and then discover that I can't access the data on the external drive.

Here's my only question: will VISTA work with a FAT32 external drive, or do I have to convert that external drive to NTFS *before* I attempt to connect it to VISTA?

awaiting your replies - I'll appreciate all the help I can get! :)

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will work fine. Seamlessly.

And, even if it didn't (which it will), you could convert to NTFS without losing data.

4. sandyfeder

sandyfeder Thread Starter

thanks for your reply - I'll keep this external drive as FAT32 and will stop worrying about it! - but what you wrote 2nd is curious: I thought that changing from FAT32 to NTFS would mean that I'd have to completely reformat that drive and thereby wipe out all data already on it

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. Data loss is not necessary so long as there is some free space.

convert F: /FS:NTFS

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't run a convert command without backing the data up first. Things can and do go wrong.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584903