1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will you check my specs for a new pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spruce, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spruce

spruce Thread Starter

I went to the local pc shop and asked him to build me an athlon 64 3000.This is what he remends.
    GA-k8np
    amd a64-3000,1.8g SKT754
    major ddr 333 512mb
    w digital 120gig 7200rpm 2mb
    panasonic 1,44 [do i need this]
    sapphire ati r9200se 128 mb
    benq dvd-writer 16x/8x-
    benq 56x cd-rom
    antec smartpower w/400 ps
    I know nothing about these specs. Can you let me know if its any good.
    All this for 1000 cdn, Thanks

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The motherboard is a socket 754, which is the older interface style. You'd be better off getting a socket 939 motherboard which would run about the same in terms of cost. The 3000+ Athlon64 is available for both socket types.

The other problem is the 9200SE. Avoid this card at all cost. It has only half the memory pipelines (64bit) of the 9200 (128bit) and isn't worth buying. If you must buy a low end vid card due to budget, buy a FX5200 instead. While around the same cost, it supports DX9 whereas the 9200 supports DX8. Optimally, choose a slower cpu and get a decent card such as a 9800pro. If you decide to go with a slower cpu in order to get a decent card, I'd wait until Q4 / Q1 of next year (when AMD releases 939 semprons) and get a socket 939 3100+ sempron so that you keep the 939 socket mobo for future upgrades. You can upgrade the cpu later on up to the 4000+ during the following year as the price falls.

I'd recommend keeping the 1.44 drive. That motheboard supports Raid 0-1 and you'll need the floppy drive to load the drivers for it if you ever decide to set up the Raid feature. If you change boards to get a socket 939 variety, I'd make sure the other one supports Raid as well, so keep the floppy.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I totally agree with gotrootdude on his assessment.

You can also drop the 56X CD-ROM as you'll probably find you'll never use it and it will save you a few dollars.

4. spruce

spruce Thread Starter

Now you have me wandering what is wrong with 9200se

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/299461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice