1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win 10 1803 removed start menu choice

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DKTaber, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I don't particularly like the basic Win 10 start menu, so elected the use the Win 7 layout. I just installed the 1803 major update, and noticed immediately that my Win 7 start menu has been replaced by the basic Win 10 menu. I can't find anything in Settings to elect a different start menu layout. Is there one, or has user choice on the start menu layout been removed from the 1803 update?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Don't you have to use a 3rd party program to get the Windows 7 style menu ?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pretty sure your right Managed, I've never seen it without someone using a third party program, not that I do use one myself or even recommend using one, but the one I see occasionally being used is Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/

4. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

You do. . . need Classic Shell. . . which I had. . . and which 1803 apparently ignores. I discovered that there is a "Classic Shell Update" available for Win 10, so I would probably have to install that for it to work with 1803. However, while I'm not yet a "fan" of the Win 10 basic start menu, after a few minutes of fooling with it, I find it's not all that bad. So I'm going to leave it in place for awhile/will put off updating Classic Shell.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you haven't found it already right-clicking the start icon gives a lot of useful links.

6. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I do, but as I said, after (the hour-long +) installation of 1803, it was ignored. There apparently is an update for Classic Shell, but for the time being, I'm going to try using the basic Win 10 start menu. . . even though it contains a lot of stuff I don't need and occupies WAY too much screen space.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It might have been removed as part of the upgrade, the upgrade to 1803 is a huge one and programs not compatible or that may cause a problem can are are removed. Things like Classic Shell are good to update every once in a while anyways. I actually use the search more then the start menu these days, it's become easier to type a few letters and pick what I want then scrolling through a list of programs and folders with programs.

Between the current Windows 10 start menu, the Cortana search, and the Notification Center I find there's not much I need from the old start menu.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice