1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved win 10 defender setting error msg

Discussion in 'General Security' started by fromaway77, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromaway77

fromaway77 Thread Starter

win 10 Lenovo PC, Windows Defender Settinga new error msg when starting up states Win Def Settings not turned on but when checking Win Def Settings it shows everything on. I do not have another anti virus tho i have malwarebytes set only to manual start. Could it be my VPN Windscribe which is off, taking over? thank you
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8065 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 892 GB (803 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, LNVNB161216
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did the error message say which part of Defender did not turn on?

I would be suspicious, because the first step a hacker does when she gets inside is to turn off your antivirus so she could load malware - a rootkit or something.

A good thing to have is a drive image of a freshly installed Windows, with all your applications. security software loaded, BEFORE you ever connect online. I use Macrium Reflect free. The image file, which is compressed, takes 8 GB or so, depending on how many applications you have, and should fit on a USB memory stick. So when in doubt, do a restore using the image file and restore your documents and photos, which you should backup regularly.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  3. fromaway77

fromaway77 Thread Starter

Thank you Lundalander. I found SoftwareBundler Win32/Stallmonitz in searching Windows Defender full scan tho initially twice it said virus free.?! I also...ran malwarebytes & there appears now that everything is fine.. No error msg this a.m.
    I also found to simply click enter when Win 10 loads & not use cursor so Microsoft Edge does not immediately load as the search engine instead of my Firefox.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice