Solved Win 10 Lags - Help clean installing or downgrading

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

VSechter

Ever since I upgraded to windows 10, everything lags and I cannot use my computer time productively.

I missed the boat to downgrade back to Windows 8.1, which I regret.

Some searches informed me that doing a clean install could be helpful and is possible, however I don't know how to do that or if it's legal. I just want my computer performance to run smoothly and without issue.

I have removed all of my personal files from my computer that I wish to keep so I can blow it away and start fresh if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very frustrated with Windows 10.

What is the brand name and model of your PC? What is the CPU ?

Let us first try to help you iron out the performance problem and see if things can be improved. Then if nothing helps, you can reinstall Win 8.1.

To re-install Win 8.1, you need a Win 8.1 DVD. Do you have that ? And you should also have the license key. Usually the key would be on a sticker on your PC.

Check the Win 8 disk packaging if it came with a plastic container, the license key may be on there.

What security program are you using? Was it migrated from Win 8.1?

Also if you could go to Task Manager > Details > Startup tab. Could you list the programs that are shown there? Unneeded programs that start up when you login may be causing the lag. Try disabling all of them and see if there is any improvement. You can always come back to this screen to re-enable them.

VSechter

im not using a security program. the only start up apps are computer function related. see attachment.

Attachments

I would try disabling all the non-essential startup programs, like Raptr, Apple Push, and PowerDVD. Some programs migrate successfully to Win 10, but cause problems because they were not made for Win 10. You can always re-enable them later after testing without them.

OK I have ran out of ideas to enhance performance. Do you want to try a clean install of Win 10 or do you want to go back to Win 8? Once you have activated Win 10 once, MS will remember your PC and allow clean installs to activate. Did you manage to find the license key for Win 8 ?

VSechter

Sorry I was gone for Holidays. Strange enough, when I turned my computer on, Windows did some serious updating and it seems a lot faster and more efficient now. Everything still lags quite a bit but this is a cheap computer so I'm not convinced anything can really help that. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online