1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 10 Newbie: No idea what to expect or do. Advice/Hints ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by NZGirl, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    My old beloved Win 7 Pro seems to have died. Rather than spend lots of $$$ getting professionals to try to fix it I've picked up 2 cheap, re-furbished machines that are loaded with Win 10 Pro. They will arrive early next week. I want to make them look like Win 7 and work as much like 7 as I can. ?? I don't need apps, I don't link my computer to anything (phone/tv etc) . I just use it as a normal computer for editing photos, email, facebook, you tube, shopping on line and that's about it.

I'd like to make a back up system recovery thing for the OS as soon as the computers arrive but have no idea how to do that.

I've also read lots of posts here where there seem to be issues with the Microsoft updates for 10? That you can't pick and choose which ones you want, that they are forced on you ??

I'm wondering what will happen when I first connect these computers to the net.... will they be inundated with zillions of updates that take days to download etc???

Thanks in advance for help, tips and advice :)

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

If its only the o/s you want to back up you can use Microsofts media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...d=_mxmzznukcaqmm1opxlb2co9fxm2xkaumptk1kgle00
    But you would be better of setting your pc up, email, personal appearance, updates etc and backing up to external media with a program like AOMEI backupper freeware https://www.backup-utility.com/
    There probably will be many updates to install and in Microsofts words may take a while.
    You mention you don't need apps but you may like this free photo editing software Gimp
    https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ use direct download link not torrents.
    Good luck with your new computers.

3. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks Lozzy :) I will look at those options when the new machines arrive. Re photo editing, I use Lightroom and DXO Optics.... which unfortunately I will have to download again and re-install onto the new machines.... big bummer!

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could use one of the new computers offline for a while, with no connection to the Internet. Might be inconvenient but you will know the offline one will always work since it is not getting any Windows Updates.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you've never used Windows 10, and if you're not very computer knowledgeable, you may be overwhelmed and face a big learning curve with Windows 10.

Windows 10 can be made to work and look a lot like Windows 7, but it takes a lot of time, and you need to know what you're doing.

You didn't describe your newly-purchased "cheap refurbished machines", but hopefully they have decent hardware specs and won't disappoint you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

SarahSims likes this.
  6. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    I would do that if I could get the progammes I need onto it first. I will need to re download the photo editing programmes I use. Is it possible to download the editing programmes to my external 1 TB My Book storage hard drive?? And then transfer them from the My Book onto one of the desktops? Thanks.

7. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    I didn't want to go down this Win 10 route at all. :-( But with support for 7 ending in 2020, and the fact lots of my utility bills now come to me online (not my choice but the companies involved have made it more and more difficult and expensive to use the old fashioned paper bill and post cheque payment option) , I thought the safest long term thing would be to get 10.
    Here are screen snips of what the two computers are. I plan on using the bigger tower unit as my main computer and the smaller HP one as the back up to that. I will keep this laptop with 7 on it going for as long as I can too. Computer 2 I will use.JPG Computer 1.JPG

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes that should work. If you bought the programs do you have any needed keys for reinstalling them ?

9. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    The DXO one I had I had a gift subscription. I have no idea if I can get that back. I will email the company to see if I can somehow get it back. The gift numbers key are lost as they are on the old computer that died.

10. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Frank, I have seen online you can get a Win7 classic shell 'thing' to make 10 at least look similar to 7. Are they safe to use do you know?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as those refurbished computers are used for basic functions and not for gaming or anything else that's too system-hungry, they should be fine.

Classic Shell is no longer supported and kept up-to-date, so it's been replaced with Open Shell.
    You can read about and obtain it from here:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/classic_start.html
    I haven't used it in a couple of years, so I don't know how well it works with Windows 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

12. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks Frank :) I don't do gaming but do do quite intense photo editing via all sorts of programmes. I put an extra 16 Gb of ram into the computer that has died to help with the photo editing I do via a programme called Topaz, which could be system hungry?? Does system hungry mean just needing lots of Ram? Or is it everything..... ram, processor, motherboard etc?
    I've been watching some You Tube videos on Win 10 for beginners and that is helping to put my mind at ease.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    cpu1.JPG cpu2.JPG

These are the performance scores of the 2 Intel processors in your above specs.
    8 GB of RAM should be sufficient with both.
    16 GB may be overkill and a waste of money.

The Intel and AMD graphics you have listed are on the weak side.
    If you determine you need a better performing graphic card, the 500W power supply in the mid tower should be okay, but the 240W power supply in the small form factor won't suffice.

----------------------------------------------------------------

14. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thank you. I have no idea what the performance scores mean *blush* But.... so interesting you saying the 240W power supply won't suffice. I brought the small form factor unit in a panic and because it was so cheap! The next day I suddenly remembered what I was told 18 years ago by a guy who built computers and who fixed broken HP ones. He told me that the power supply systems in HP's were rubbish and died easily and often. I then realised I needed a unit with a decent power supply. I brought the tower one with the 500W power supply to use as my main system and decided to keep the smaller one (rather than try to send it back) purely as a back up (like this Win 7 laptop is my back up now). After remembering that about the power supply it suddenly occurred to me that maybe doing all the intense photo editing, plus the 20 GB of ram the computer now had... that maybe that had contributed to the unit dying? Because the unit that died was also a small form factor one and only had a 240W power unit in it. Would that be a possibility ?? Do you think??

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've bought nothing but refurbished Dell OptiPlex minitowers since 2011.
    Depending on the model, they came with a 275W - 305W power supply.
    I never used them for gaming or anything else that's system-hungry, so they never failed me.
    As I moved on to more modern models(7010, 9020, etc.), I re-did and donated the older models(780, 755, etc.).
    Pretty much all of them are still in use today.

I avoided the small form factor and desktop case sizes and stuck with the minitower case size because of its larger size.
    It has more space inside and better cooling and more hardware upgrade options and a higher wattage power supply.

You didn't clarify how your HP died, so I'm going to guess it was a hardware issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!