1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 10 PC won't read my SD card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jucarda57, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jucarda57

jucarda57 Thread Starter

Hi, I am not a tech guy, but I always want to be informed about the tech I use. However, I never thought about file systems before acquiring cards for my DSLR camera. They work fine on the camera, though. The issue is in my laptop.

I used to have a Win 8.1 Toshiba Satellite and the cards worked perfectly in the SD card reader to transfer photos. However, I recently bought a Win 10 Asus X555D and even though Windows tells me the reader is working, it won't detect my cards, the "F:" disk just pops up and disappears in a second. (is that a Windows 10 bug?)

I tried inserting a 64 GB microSD with SD adapter and a normal 4GB SD card and nothing.

I tried inserting the same 64 GB microSD with adapter one on both a Macbook Retina and iMac and it works fine. MacOS tells me that the file system is exFAT.

I tried formatting the card inside the camera and it didn't work. However, I don' t know if using a Mac to format it to something like FAT32 is posible, would work or even if it could cause problems in the future.

And also, if the file system is the problem, then why did it work on my Toshiba before? Could Windows 10 be the problem?

Thank you, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to state everything very clearly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

exFAT is readable by Windows PCs (since it's actually a proprietary Microsoft format). However, I've seen it cause issues before when cards or drives have been formatted in exFAT with a Mac. I would recommend backing up all your data from the cards on the Mac, formatting them using FAT32 on the Mac, and then seeing if Win10 will recognize them. If so, you should format the cards using exFAT on Windows. The Mac will be able to see the cards, as will Windows. The main advantage of exFAT over FAT32 is the size of files you can save and partition sizes. I know the former may be important if you have high-res photos in RAW format.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice