Win 10 upate failed, now PC wont boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

artk01

Win10 Update kept trying to install and would fail after about 30% done and then automatically Restore a previous version of Windows. This kept happening for a week or so but at least the computer kept working. Then yesterday, when it tried to Restore, it Restarted on its own. SO now when I turn it on, the PC boots up until Restoring Windows to a previous version, then shuts off, and stays in that loop until I turn off the PC. I have a USB boot drive I created with Windows MediaCreation.exe and have access to the menus there. However nothing there seems to help. It will not Restore, the PC will not Reset, and even though I have a WindowsIMageBackup I can't seem to open it to restore from that. Looking for any ideas. Thanks.

dmccoy

Darrin
If you can get to the command prompt in Safe mode.

Start with the following options and let us know if they work or not.

Option 1:
Click on Start menu
Type in cmd
Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator
Type the following command
chkdsk /spotfix (press enter) and answer Yes to run at restart
Restart computer and the chkdsk command will run
Restart computer and Try updating again

Option 2:
Click on Start menu
Type in cmd
Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator
Type the following commands and run each one

1. Sc Stop wuauserv - hit enter

2. Rd /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution - hit enter

3. Download the update from the Microsoft Update catalog website.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q
Enter KB4058043 in search field
Double-check the exact version you need, depending on your computer and OS requirements

4. Restart computer

Option 3:
Click on Start menu
Type in cmd Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator
Type the following commands and run each one
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Sfc /Scannow

artk01

I am unable to get into Windows at all to open the start menu to do any of your suggestions. Will a USB Thumb-drive that will boot to Advanced Options provide me with a workable command prompt to try these suggestions?

artk01

I have a USB thumbdrive I made bootable from Microsoft's MediaCretion.exe, but that does not get me into Saae Mode. There is a Command Prompt option there. Would I log into the Boot Drive on the Computer from there and then run the sommand lines you suggested?

dmccoy

Darrin
Yes, that is correct. Try those commands first. However there is no reason you should not be able to boot to safe mode with that drive?

artk01

I was unable to get to safe mode even with Microsoft Tech Support on the phone. So I should log onto the Desktop's boot drive and run the command lines?

dmccoy

Darrin
Thats strange. Can you get to the command prompt? If so, start with the commands I provided

artk01

There is a Command Prompt selection in the advanced options from the USB boot drive. I am not in front of that computer now but once I am I will try your suggestions and let you know what happens. Thanks so much for your input. Merry Christmas

dmccoy

Darrin
Your welcome. Okay yes try that and keep us updated. Merry Christmas to you as well

artk01

Hi again. I tried the options you gave with no results. Here's what happened.
Fist, I should mention the boot drive is an SSD.

OPTION 1
When I boot from the USB thumbdrive and go to the Command Prompt from the Advanced Options menu it displays, the disk shows as x:\Sources. I am guessing that is the thumbdrive. So I navigated to i:\ which is the drive designation of the SSD boot drive. I ran the chkdsk /spotfix command and got the folowing message:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot be run because this volume i snin use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

I answered N and then it asked if I would like to try to run on RESTART and I said Y. I shut it down and then turned it back on and it went straight to the USB drive. So I repeated the process above only when I turned the computer back on I removed the USB drive, and it got stuck in the original loop or trying to boot to windows only to restart and repeat.

I did run chksdk straight on the i: SSD drive and it ran for a bit and said Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required.

OPTION 2
Followed your instructions but the link you sent is broken.

Option 3
When I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth it said

Error: 50
DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option. The DISM log file cannot be found at x:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I tried the command on both x: and i: with the same result. Never got to type Sfc /Scannow, unless that was supposed to be part of the original command you gave me.

That's all I got. Any ideas from here?

Thanks.

dmccoy

Darrin

artk01

Merry Christmas. Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the F5 command but that didn't do anything.

Attached are the screens I see in order of appearance when booting from the USB thumbdrive. The first screen up after the BIOS and WIN logo is below. If I select YES the machine reboots and comes back to this same sccreen. I select NO and go to the next screen.

1.jpg

I select TROUBLESHOOT below and go to the next screen

2.jpg
As you see below, there is no RESTART option you asked me to select. START UP REPAIR tells me it can't repair my PC. SYSTEM RESTORE and IMAGE RECOVERY tells me it cannot find either a restore or recovery file to use. NOTE: when in IMAGE RECOVERY I am able to see all drives on the computer and have made copies of some files from the boot drive and others to an external drive successfully.

3.jpg

The screen below shows the PC asking for which operating system to use. I have tried selecting them all which yeilds nothing different from what I have described above.

4.jpg

dmccoy

Darrin
Okay i understand more now thanks. Do you have a complete backup of your files? If so, Are you okay with performing a clean install? That would be the easiest solution. If not we can try a few more things.

I am going to be off for probably the rest of the day.

If you want to perform a clean install and have a BACKUP then perform the following from command prompt

Type diskpart
list disk
select disk 1 (or correct disk #)
clean
convert gpt
Create partition
format quick fs=ntfs
Assign
exit

Then your disk is ready to install and fresh copy of Windows

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...f/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08?auth=1

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online