1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win 10 Update missing desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Compy, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Compy

Compy Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8102 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (183 GB Free); D: 933 GB (798 GB Free); E: 931 GB (758 GB Free); H: 929 GB (835 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I have tried to update to 1803.( several times ) but have had to roll back every time after receiving
    a notification, unable to find, "c:\WINDOWS\System32\config\systemprofile\desktop", a black screen, with only a recycle bin icon, and a task bar with a start button that doesn't work.
    I cannot find a desktop file at that location, so have tried placing the one from my user account there, but still the same fault. I have tried creating a new user account (admin) booting into it and updating
    from there but still the same fault.Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Please type "cmd" in the Windows search box (don't hit enter) wait until the blue box lights up above the search box that says (Command Prompt). Right click on the blue box and left click the option that says (run as administrator) Click "OK" type in the command prompt box this command : sfc /scannow let that run, it will take a little time. It will look for missing system files and replace them if they are missing.

3. Compy

Compy Thread Starter

sfc /scannow carried out . No problems found.

4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Ok. Open up a command prompt (as administrator) and type : dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (hit enter)

5. Compy

Compy Thread Starter

Carried out successfully. should i now try to update using my normal user account?

6. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    I would create an administrator account, and try it there. The administrator account is hidden in Windows 10. Here is how to access it. Type cmd in the search box, wait until the blue box above pops up that says "Command Prompt" right click on the blue area left click on "run as administrator" click "Yes" in the windows popup box. In the command prompt box type : net user administrator /active:yes , now reboot and log in in the administator account and then try to Windows update the system.

7. Compy

Compy Thread Starter

Update carried out in administrator account. same fault.

8. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Create a text document and save it as a .bat file and run it with the following in it:

@Echo OFF
    echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
    echo.
    PAUSE
    echo.
    attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
    attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop CryptSvc
    net stop BITS
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
    ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
    net Start BITS
    net start CryptSvc
    net start wuauserv
    echo.
    echo Task completed successfully...
    echo.
    PAUSE

Proceed to the next instruction below.

9. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Next thing to do is disable all antivirus, and anti-malware software. Unplug all usb's, printers, external hard drives. Type msconfig in the search box. Select the "boot" tab. Click the "safe boot", select "network" under "boot" . Click "apply" and "ok" reboot the computer. Try it again.

10. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  11. Compy

Compy Thread Starter

Good Evening
    I have tried the MS article. No difference.
    I created the bat file, exactly as written, but it failed to work.
    "Access denied - c:\Windows\system32\catroot2
    Access denied - c:\Windows\system32\catroot2\dberr.txt
    System error 5 has occured
    Access is denied"
    for some reason it changed the end of line 2. !
    I also tried your suggestion of removing all extra devices and closing firewalls etc. But after booting into safe mode
    i lost my internet connection so couldn't download the update.

12. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Dangit. If safemode with networking doesn't work, then you are looking at a re-install, I'm thinking. I would backup all my files onto another drive with acronis or Macrium reflect free, and then do a re-install. But, before I did any of that, I would check your hard disk to see if it is failing or has errors. Open command prompt (as administrator) and type : chkskd c: /f (enter)

13. Compy

Compy Thread Starter

Hi.
    Awoke this morning. All prepared for a reinstall. Started the PC, final check of the update, astounded to find none.
    Everything installed. Confused, but pleased as punch.

Paul23 likes this.
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice