Win 10 - "Wi-Fi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mr.Hopefull

I get wifi disconnections on my main computer a couple of times an hour and I've tried loads of things to fix it. I'm stuck and it's driving me nuts. When I run troubleshoorter it says: "Wi-Fi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration", resets and then works again for a bit.

System:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32GB RAM
  • Asus Prime B450M-A
  • RTX3080
  • SSD
What I know:
  • It's lasted for several months now
  • It's random and is unrelated to using any programs
  • It doesn't seem to happen with other computers, phones or TVs
  • It happens with my TP Link AC1300 Archer T3U Plus usb dongle
  • It still happens with the new PiAEK M-1200Z usb dongle
  • I'm running a BT Hub as the router, with TP Link Archer C6 as an access point (BT Hub via TP Link TL-PA7017 powerline to TP Archer C6)
What I've tried:
  1. Wifi troubleshooter (which works temporarily, but doesn't stop the issue returning)
  2. Restarting the PC
  3. Uninstalling and reinstalling the wifi adapter
  4. Buying a new PiAEK M-1200Z usb dongle
  5. Putting the Archer C6 to access point mode
  6. Giving the Archer C6 a fixed IP address on the BT Hub
  7. Giving my PC a fixed IP address on the BT Hub
I'm not sure what caused it, but the only thing I can think of, is when I set up windows remote desktop and went through some steps on a video I saw online to forward some ports and make them secure. I can't find the video anywhere though, so I can't go back and undo the steps :(

Any help would be amazing ! :)

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure you install the latest Windows 10 driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site. When/if the problem happens again check to see if the driver is still installed or whether Windows replaced it with some other driver.

Have you checked for signal strength and for wireless interference?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online