Solved Win 10 won't open then it does

Abie2

I have a duo system on separate hd's, Win 10 on new SSD hd and Win 7 on a older Sata hd. I choose via the Bios on which I want to use for the day. Lately, when i choose Win 10, I see the revolving loading circle and the next thing I see, win 7 appearing. I cannot understand what is going on here. Is my new SSD at fault, the Bios screwed up or what? I did go through the Repair mode with my Microsoft tool program and it worked only for one day. The next time I tried to open Win 10 via Bios boot, after seeing the revolving circle loading a message appeared as follows: " We cannot complete update.....Undo changes....Don't turn off your computer", then it opens. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Instead of changing your bios Does your computer give you the option on startup look at the splash screen
it can be F9 key or F11 etc.or you can use EasyBCD Easy BCD Download

Abie2

Instead of changing your bios Does your computer give you the option on startup look at the splash screen
it can be F9 key or F11 etc.or you can use EasyBCD Easy BCD Download
Thanks for the reply, but am at a loss of what your suggesting. "Splash Screen?", "Easy BCD Download/urlj ? BTW, i also keep getting from the new SSD drive the constant CHKDSK program. ...already on a new HD? I made it run its course a couple of times to see if i finally can get rid of it, but it keeps repeating. I tried the 4 different ways on how to stop it, but it didn't work.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Was Windows 7 previously installed in the older SATA drive while it was in that computer?

Was Windows 10 later installed in the newer SSD drive while it and the older SATA drive containing Windows 7 were in that computer?

Knowing how both operating systems were installed will help to determine why a menu showing both operating systems does NOT appear when you start that computer.

------------------------------------------------

Abie2

Was Windows 7 previously installed in the older SATA drive while it was in that computer?

Was Windows 10 later installed in the newer SSD drive while it and the older SATA drive containing Windows 7 were in that computer?

Knowing how both operating systems were installed will help to determine why a menu showing both operating systems does NOT appear when you start that computer.

[/QUIOTE]
I knew about the installation of both systems when i had a duo setup on one hd. but this time I had set them up on separate hd's. No, win 10 was first installed. That would make a problem that i have been having constantly getting chkdsk on both hd's?
----------------------------------

I knew about the installation of both systems when i had a duo setup on one hd. but this time I had set them up on separate hd's. No, win 10 was first installed. That would make a problem that i have been having constantly getting chkdsk on both hd's?
-----------------------

Thanks for the reply, but am at a loss of what your suggesting. "Splash Screen?", "Easy BCD Download/urlj
Splash Screen - Or Post screen is the first screen you see when you turn the computer on.
BCD Is a program you can download and run - Free. It will give you a start up choice to choose Win 7 or Win 10
Not all Motherboards have the same options. On mine I press F12 I can then choose to boot from USB, Network or any drive that is bootable.

Attachments

Last edited:

Abie2

Splash Screen - Or Post screen is the first screen you see when you turn the computer on.
BCD Is a program you can download and run - Free. It will give you a start up choice to choose Win 7 or Win 10
Not all Motherboards have the same options. On mine I press F12 I can then choose to boot from USB, Network or any drive that is bootable.
I do not see anything like splash screen on my desktop. I did download BCD. So far no one has answered my question about installation of duo systems on separate hd's, and does it matter which was installed first, Win 10 or Win 7. BTW, BCD only showed my Win 7. I thought it would catch both systems. I did not see Win 10

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If Windows 7 SP1 was installed first in a HDD or SSD, and if Windows 10 was installed second in another HDD or SSD, a boot menu should appear when you start your computer.
It will then allow you several seconds to select which operating system you want to boot to and use.

All 4 of my full-time computers have 2 separate SSD's.
Windows 7 SP1 is in one and Windows 10 is in the other.
Depending on which operating system I want to use, I select it from the boot menu during startup.

I've had a few bad experiences with using EasyBCD, so I won't recommend it to someone who's not willing to do a clean re-install and start over if something goes wrong with the boot menu.

--------------------------------------------------

Abie2

If Windows 7 SP1 was installed first in a HDD or SSD, and if Windows 10 was installed second in another HDD or SSD, a boot menu should appear when you start your computer.
It will then allow you several seconds to select which operating system you want to boot to and use.

I stopped using EasyBCD a few years ago because it can easily corrupt or destroy the boot menu.
No, the repair guy installed win 10 first on separate hd. Perhaps that is why BCD only sees Win 7. So then, i guess i have to go back to the bios boot again to make a choice. Does this mean that I have to reverse the installation in order to use a boot loader other than the Bios? BTW, according to my main OP, I did a system restore back a week and now, keeping my fingers crossed, no Chkdsk, no problem with Win 7.

Depending on which operating system I want to use, I select it from the boot menu during startup.

I've had a few bad experiences with using EasyBCD, so I won't recommend it to someone who's not willing to do a clean re-install and start over if something goes wrong with the boot menu.

I have a duo system on separate hd's, Win 10 on new SSD hd and Win 7 on a older Sata hd
Did you disconnect the the win 10 drive when you installed win 7 ?
Like Frank I boot to either XP, Win 7, Win 10.Plop or Linux.
When I did a win 7 and a win 10 boot. I disconnected the Current drive then connected a blank drive.
Booted from install media and setup. Connected win 7 and win 10, booted to Win 7 downloaded and ran
EasyBCD then I choose via boot menu as per my screenshot.
If you did not disconnect the drive first then you probably messed the boot config.
As Frank says you do not need to use EasyBCD but if you install with both drives connected then you have to install Win 7 first Win 10 second. If not then you need to use BCD Edit to see if the boot order can be fixed.

Last edited:

Abie2

Did you disconnect the the win 10 drive when you installed win 7 ?
Like Frank I boot to either XP, Win 7, Win 10.Plop or Linux.
When I did a win 7 and a win 10 boot. I disconnected the Current drive then connected a blank drive.
Booted from install media and setup. Connected win 7 and win 10, booted to Win 7 downloaded and ran
EasyBCD then I choose via boot menu as per my screenshot.
If you did not disconnect the drive first then you probably messed the boot config.
As Frank says you do not need to use EasyBCD but if you install with both drives connected then you have to install Win 7 first Win 10 second. If not then you need to use BCD Edit to see if the boot order can be fixed.
Unfortunately I did not do the installation, but even if i did, I didn't know about the installation process on which to install first, being on separate hd's. I was aware of that only when u put 2 os on one hd. My desktop crashed a month or so ago and i had to call a repair geek, because my bios was corrupted. He installed win 10 and then left me to install win 7 and never mentioned to unplug one hd. I still can't see why the pc should be able to know which was installed first, being on separate drives.

Abie2

Unfortunately I did not do the installation, but even if i did, I didn't know about the installation process on which to install first, being on separate hd's. I was aware of that only when u put 2 os on one hd. My desktop crashed a month or so ago and i had to call a repair geek, because my bios was corrupted. He installed win 10 and then left me to install win 7 and never mentioned to unplug one hd. I still can't see why the pc should be able to know which was installed first, being on separate drives.
Does anyone know if i remove the win 10 hd or delete it, leave win 7 as sole os, and then reinstall win 10 on the other hd, would work?

Test.
Remove power or data cable from win 10 drive. Boot, does win 7 boot?
If yes.
Connect win 10 and remove power or data cable from win 7 Drive Boot, Does win 10 boot
Report back

Abie2

Test.
Remove power or data cable from win 10 drive. Boot, does win 7 boot?
If yes.
Connect win 10 and remove power or data cable from win 7 Drive Boot, Does win 10 boot
Report back
I tried both as u suggested and only win 7 worked. Win 10 went as far as the repair mode and kept repeating it as i tried various options wit no luck. At one time during the repair option it offered me to reset it with saving my files and reinstalling win 10.

At one time during the repair option it offered me to reset it with saving my files and reinstalling win 10.
You can try this option.
Do you need the data on win 10 ?
My own preference is to disconnect win 7 and install win 10. I then set the one I use the most as the first boot item. I do this so if one drive dies or has problems you can still boot from the other drive as they have separate
boot loaders.
Let's ask Frank for his input as he also dual boots from 2 drives.
@flavallee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online