Solved Win 10 won't open then it does

Abie2

Yes, i have some data that i need in Win 10. I appreciate your responses and I see by the time you do, its early in the morning, leaving me the entire day just waiting for assistance. Is there no other moderator available? You mention a "Frank' to butt in. I believe he was the first one to respond and just stopped. Are you asking me to get in touch with him or are you? Now, as far as reinstalling win 10, I have no way of knowing if i can still do this. I would have to start from scratch. I still have the usb drive with the 'tools'. Would that install win 10 again? BTW, how do u set the os as the first booster? I think your "Frank' was not a admirer for BCD. Also, now with Win 11, does it make any sense to install win 10?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I installed 2 SSD drives in my PC.
One SSD was connected to the SATA-0 port.
The other SSD was connected to the SATA-1 port.
Windows 7 was installed first and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-0 port.
Windows 10 was installed second and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-1 port.
When I start my PC, a boot menu appears which allows me to select which operating system I want to use.
I have a duo system on separate hd's, Win 10 on new SSD hd and Win 7 on a older Sata hd. I choose via the Bios on which I want to use for the day.
From what you said in your original post (which I quoted), Windows 7 and Windows 10 were installed in a manner where no boot menu appears.
That has forced you to change the boot order of the SSD and HDD drives in the BIOS to select which operating system you want to use.
The problem can be resolved with EasyBCD, but it's tricky and can leave you with a non-bootable PC if you make a mistake.
That's why I don't recommend using it unless you really know what you're doing.

------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Abie2

I installed 2 SSD drives in my PC.
One SSD was connected to the SATA-0 port.
The other SSD was connected to the SATA-1 port.
Windows 7 was installed first and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-0 port.
Windows 10 was installed second and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-1 port.
When I start my PC, a boot menu appears which allows me to select which operating system I want to use.

From what you said in your original post (which I quoted), Windows 7 and Windows 10 were installed in a manner where no boot menu appears.
That has forced you to change the boot order of the SSD and HDD drives in the BIOS to select which operating system you want to use.
The problem can be resolved with EasyBCD, but it's tricky and can leave you with a non-bootable PC if you make a mistake.
That's why I don't recommend using it unless you really know what you're doing.

------------------------------------------------
Yes, I did try BCD and stopped....like u said i didn't feel comfortable using it. I appreciate u 'butting in", but none of my last post questions were answered. Win 11 and etc.

I think your best bet would be to do as Frank did. Connect your win 7 to sata port 0 make sure it boots.
Connect win 10 to sata port 1. Insert your usb stick with the win 10 and try to repair(it should give an option)win 10 so it will boot.
The difference is doing it Franks way just means you are using windows boot rather than Easybcd.
Also, now with Win 11, does it make any sense to install win 10?
I NEVER am first to jump in on a new OS.Start looking through forums and you will see people having problems with win 11,Just like they had when they jumped in on win10. - That choice is yours and yours only.

its early in the morning, leaving me the entire day just waiting for assistance
That's because you are in USA( I assume) I am in Australia - Sorry I can't do anything about that.

Abie2

Yes, you can...come to the USA, ha,ha. Of course i have no way of knowing who comes from where, but like i said, i do appreciate your responses. As for Sata port 0 and sata port 1...again, i am not a well versed computer user such as you moderators..i wouldn't even know where to spot or read such ports on my motherboard. I sound frustrated, because this boot os systems has really dragged for me. I would just as soon keep Win 7, but i also have to think about Win 10 or 11, eventually.

Make and model of Motherboard please.
Click on Start and in the search box that pops up type in system information
On the screen that pops up we want system Manufacturer and system model.(Pic Attached)
Technically it does not have to be Port 0 and port 1.
MB info.PNG

Abie2

HI, the motherboard is Asus A88X-Pro. The pc desktop is a build...yes, I built it..I know, I was shocked too.

Attachments

ok your ports are 1 & 2 - it does not really matter as you can set them in bios.
But if you want put win 7 port 1 win 10 port 2
Boot to win 7 and get what you need off win 10 drive - Just incase.
Reboot with both drives attached and try to repair win 10 install - or reinstall win 10.

Attachments

Abie2

If the ports don't matter, than why tell me to put win 7 in port 1 and etc.? Your pic doesn't tell me anything or should it? BTW, I have tried repair a half dozen times and all options offered and none work, the way i have it set up now. Are u suggesting to take what data i need from win 10 and move them to win 7? If u are, how is this done when Win 10 is not available? I see I got an earlier response from you...did u come to the USA, ha,ha. Welcome!!

If the ports don't matter, than why tell me to put win 7 in port 1
It just keeps things neat. But as I said not essential
Your pic doesn't tell me anything or should it
It shows where port 1 & 2 are.
Are u suggesting to take what data i need from win 10 and move them to win 7? If u are, how is this done when Win 10 is not available?
If win 10 does not boot makes no difference. You should still be able to see the drive in explorer from win 7.
Click on start, Click on computer. Can you see the win 10 drive?

Abie2

It just keeps things neat. But as I said not essential

It shows where port 1 & 2 are.

If win 10 does not boot makes no difference. You should still be able to see the drive in explorer from win 7.
Click on start, Click on computer. Can you see the win 10 drive?
In your display pic the closest i could see sata info is at Arrow point 12, where there are 3 box's shown and if that is the area, i do not see anything that says port 1 or 2. Could u point it out to me?

Yes, i forgot, i do see win 10 under computer as it is marked drive F, while viewing it from win 7. Its been awhile, but i believe the data that i would like to save were mostly listed on win 10 desktop. I could not find that folder when i checked it in Explorer. Perhaps, that is where the corruption started.

12 is port 1 & Port 2. The way they put it it looks like port 12(Twelve).
On windows 10(F) go to users/yourname/desktop

Abie2

12 is port 1 & Port 2. The way they put it it looks like port 12(Twelve).
On windows 10(F) go to users/yourname/desktop
There seems to be some misunderstanding here in regard to sata ports. I have the manual and shows that layout that you depicted here. The arrow pointing as 12 is not port 1 and 2, its a description shown on the following page. That page says on line 12, and I am quoting..."Sata 6.0 Gb/s connectors (Sata6G_1-6). By that i assume there are 6 ports, but i could not find anywhere in the manual is Port 1 or any Port number. With my magnify glass, i do see written in very tiny test for the top of those 3 squares, again quoting, "Sata6G_12,Sata6G_34,Sata6G_56". So how can one identify port 1,2 and etc.?

Ok Don't worry about port 1&2 - We can set main one in bios.
Get all the data you need off Win 10.
Download the Win 10 install media tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
Reinstall win 10 - If you have all the data do a fresh install.
Make sure you have all your win 10 data backed up / copied as a fresh install will loose everything on
the win 10 drive. (Make sure you pick the correct drive)

"Sata6G_12,Sata6G_34,Sata6G_56
Sata6G 12 are ports 1 & 2 Sata6G 34 are ports 3&4 Sata6G are ports 5&6

Abie2

Ok Don't worry about port 1&2 - We can set main one in bios.
Get all the data you need off Win 10.
Download the Win 10 install media tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
Reinstall win 10 - If you have all the data do a fresh install.
Make sure you have all your win 10 data backed up / copied as a fresh install will loose everything on
the win 10 drive. (Make sure you pick the correct drive)

Sata6G 12 are ports 1 & 2 Sata6G 34 are ports 3&4 Sata6G are ports 5&6
I've been in the process of doing just that and its going take a couple of days. I still have the 'tool' usb drive, in fact that is the one i have been using to see if i could repair win 10 and it did not help. So I should leave Win 7 as is on the sata hdrive. After copying my data to it, delete win 10 and reinstall win 10 on the ssd drive. ..so during this process both hd's could be connected?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online