Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win 10 won't open then it does

Solved 
10K views 156 replies 5 participants last post by  Abie2 
#1 ·
I have a duo system on separate hd's, Win 10 on new SSD hd and Win 7 on a older Sata hd. I choose via the Bios on which I want to use for the day. Lately, when i choose Win 10, I see the revolving loading circle and the next thing I see, win 7 appearing. I cannot understand what is going on here. Is my new SSD at fault, the Bios screwed up or what? I did go through the Repair mode with my Microsoft tool program and it worked only for one day. The next time I tried to open Win 10 via Bios boot, after seeing the revolving circle loading a message appeared as follows: " We cannot complete update.....Undo changes....Don't turn off your computer", then it opens. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but am at a loss of what your suggesting. "Splash Screen?", "Easy BCD Download/urlj ? BTW, i also keep getting from the new SSD drive the constant CHKDSK program. ...already on a new HD? I made it run its course a couple of times to see if i finally can get rid of it, but it keeps repeating. I tried the 4 different ways on how to stop it, but it didn't work.

#4 ·
Was Windows 7 previously installed in the older SATA drive while it was in that computer?

Was Windows 10 later installed in the newer SSD drive while it and the older SATA drive containing Windows 7 were in that computer?

Knowing how both operating systems were installed will help to determine why a menu showing both operating systems does NOT appear when you start that computer.

------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Was Windows 7 previously installed in the older SATA drive while it was in that computer?

Was Windows 10 later installed in the newer SSD drive while it and the older SATA drive containing Windows 7 were in that computer?

Knowing how both operating systems were installed will help to determine why a menu showing both operating systems does NOT appear when you start that computer.

[/QUIOTE]
I knew about the installation of both systems when i had a duo setup on one hd. but this time I had set them up on separate hd's. No, win 10 was first installed. That would make a problem that i have been having constantly getting chkdsk on both hd's?
----------------------------------

I knew about the installation of both systems when i had a duo setup on one hd. but this time I had set them up on separate hd's. No, win 10 was first installed. That would make a problem that i have been having constantly getting chkdsk on both hd's?
-----------------------

#7 · (Edited)
Splash Screen - Or Post screen is the first screen you see when you turn the computer on.
BCD Is a program you can download and run - Free. It will give you a start up choice to choose Win 7 or Win 10
Not all Motherboards have the same options. On mine I press F12 I can then choose to boot from USB, Network or any drive that is bootable.
I do not see anything like splash screen on my desktop. I did download BCD. So far no one has answered my question about installation of duo systems on separate hd's, and does it matter which was installed first, Win 10 or Win 7. BTW, BCD only showed my Win 7. I thought it would catch both systems. I did not see Win 10

#8 ·
If Windows 7 SP1 was installed first in a HDD or SSD, and if Windows 10 was installed second in another HDD or SSD, a boot menu should appear when you start your computer.
It will then allow you several seconds to select which operating system you want to boot to and use.

All 4 of my full-time computers have 2 separate SSD's.
Windows 7 SP1 is in one and Windows 10 is in the other.
Depending on which operating system I want to use, I select it from the boot menu during startup.

I've had a few bad experiences with using EasyBCD, so I won't recommend it to someone who's not willing to do a clean re-install and start over if something goes wrong with the boot menu.

--------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
If Windows 7 SP1 was installed first in a HDD or SSD, and if Windows 10 was installed second in another HDD or SSD, a boot menu should appear when you start your computer.
It will then allow you several seconds to select which operating system you want to boot to and use.

I stopped using EasyBCD a few years ago because it can easily corrupt or destroy the boot menu.
No, the repair guy installed win 10 first on separate hd. Perhaps that is why BCD only sees Win 7. So then, i guess i have to go back to the bios boot again to make a choice. Does this mean that I have to reverse the installation in order to use a boot loader other than the Bios? BTW, according to my main OP, I did a system restore back a week and now, keeping my fingers crossed, no Chkdsk, no problem with Win 7.

Depending on which operating system I want to use, I select it from the boot menu during startup.

I've had a few bad experiences with using EasyBCD, so I won't recommend it to someone who's not willing to do a clean re-install and start over if something goes wrong with the boot menu.

#10 · (Edited)
I have a duo system on separate hd's, Win 10 on new SSD hd and Win 7 on a older Sata hd
Did you disconnect the the win 10 drive when you installed win 7 ?
Like Frank I boot to either XP, Win 7, Win 10.Plop or Linux.
When I did a win 7 and a win 10 boot. I disconnected the Current drive then connected a blank drive.
Booted from install media and setup. Connected win 7 and win 10, booted to Win 7 downloaded and ran
EasyBCD then I choose via boot menu as per my screenshot.
If you did not disconnect the drive first then you probably messed the boot config.
As Frank says you do not need to use EasyBCD but if you install with both drives connected then you have to install Win 7 first Win 10 second. If not then you need to use BCD Edit to see if the boot order can be fixed.

#11 ·
Unfortunately I did not do the installation, but even if i did, I didn't know about the installation process on which to install first, being on separate hd's. I was aware of that only when u put 2 os on one hd. My desktop crashed a month or so ago and i had to call a repair geek, because my bios was corrupted. He installed win 10 and then left me to install win 7 and never mentioned to unplug one hd. I still can't see why the pc should be able to know which was installed first, being on separate drives.

#14 ·
Test.
Remove power or data cable from win 10 drive. Boot, does win 7 boot?
If yes.
Connect win 10 and remove power or data cable from win 7 Drive Boot, Does win 10 boot
Report back
I tried both as u suggested and only win 7 worked. Win 10 went as far as the repair mode and kept repeating it as i tried various options wit no luck. At one time during the repair option it offered me to reset it with saving my files and reinstalling win 10.

#16 ·
Yes, i have some data that i need in Win 10. I appreciate your responses and I see by the time you do, its early in the morning, leaving me the entire day just waiting for assistance. Is there no other moderator available? You mention a "Frank' to butt in. I believe he was the first one to respond and just stopped. Are you asking me to get in touch with him or are you? Now, as far as reinstalling win 10, I have no way of knowing if i can still do this. I would have to start from scratch. I still have the usb drive with the 'tools'. Would that install win 10 again? BTW, how do u set the os as the first booster? I think your "Frank' was not a admirer for BCD. Also, now with Win 11, does it make any sense to install win 10?

#19 ·
I think your best bet would be to do as Frank did. Connect your win 7 to sata port 0 make sure it boots.
Connect win 10 to sata port 1. Insert your usb stick with the win 10 and try to repair(it should give an option)win 10 so it will boot.
The difference is doing it Franks way just means you are using windows boot rather than Easybcd.
Also, now with Win 11, does it make any sense to install win 10?
I NEVER am first to jump in on a new OS.Start looking through forums and you will see people having problems with win 11,Just like they had when they jumped in on win10. - That choice is yours and yours only.

its early in the morning, leaving me the entire day just waiting for assistance
That's because you are in USA( I assume) I am in Australia - Sorry I can't do anything about that.

#17 · (Edited)
I installed 2 SSD drives in my PC.
One SSD was connected to the SATA-0 port.
The other SSD was connected to the SATA-1 port.
Windows 7 was installed first and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-0 port.
Windows 10 was installed second and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-1 port.
When I start my PC, a boot menu appears which allows me to select which operating system I want to use.
I have a duo system on separate hd's, Win 10 on new SSD hd and Win 7 on a older Sata hd. I choose via the Bios on which I want to use for the day.
From what you said in your original post (which I quoted), Windows 7 and Windows 10 were installed in a manner where no boot menu appears.
That has forced you to change the boot order of the SSD and HDD drives in the BIOS to select which operating system you want to use.
The problem can be resolved with EasyBCD, but it's tricky and can leave you with a non-bootable PC if you make a mistake.
That's why I don't recommend using it unless you really know what you're doing.

#18 ·
I installed 2 SSD drives in my PC.
Windows 7 was installed first and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-0 port.
Windows 10 was installed second and in the SSD that's connected to the SATA-1 port.
When I start my PC, a boot menu appears which allows me to select which operating system I want to use.

From what you said in your original post (which I quoted), Windows 7 and Windows 10 were installed in a manner where no boot menu appears.
That has forced you to change the boot order of the SSD and HDD drives in the BIOS to select which operating system you want to use.
The problem can be resolved with EasyBCD, but it's tricky and can leave you with a non-bootable PC if you make a mistake.
That's why I don't recommend using it unless you really know what you're doing.

Yes, I did try BCD and stopped....like u said i didn't feel comfortable using it. I appreciate u 'butting in", but none of my last post questions were answered. Win 11 and etc.

#20 ·
Yes, you can...come to the USA, ha,ha. Of course i have no way of knowing who comes from where, but like i said, i do appreciate your responses. As for Sata port 0 and sata port 1...again, i am not a well versed computer user such as you moderators..i wouldn't even know where to spot or read such ports on my motherboard. I sound frustrated, because this boot os systems has really dragged for me. I would just as soon keep Win 7, but i also have to think about Win 10 or 11, eventually.

#21 ·
Make and model of Motherboard please.
Click on Start and in the search box that pops up type in system information
On the screen that pops up we want system Manufacturer and system model.(Pic Attached)
Technically it does not have to be Port 0 and port 1.
Rectangle Font Art Magenta Brand

#23 ·
ok your ports are 1 & 2 - it does not really matter as you can set them in bios.
But if you want put win 7 port 1 win 10 port 2
Boot to win 7 and get what you need off win 10 drive - Just incase.
Reboot with both drives attached and try to repair win 10 install - or reinstall win 10.

Attachments

#24 ·
If the ports don't matter, than why tell me to put win 7 in port 1 and etc.? Your pic doesn't tell me anything or should it? BTW, I have tried repair a half dozen times and all options offered and none work, the way i have it set up now. Are u suggesting to take what data i need from win 10 and move them to win 7? If u are, how is this done when Win 10 is not available? I see I got an earlier response from you...did u come to the USA, ha,ha. Welcome!!

#25 ·
If the ports don't matter, than why tell me to put win 7 in port 1
It just keeps things neat. But as I said not essential
Your pic doesn't tell me anything or should it
It shows where port 1 & 2 are.
Are u suggesting to take what data i need from win 10 and move them to win 7? If u are, how is this done when Win 10 is not available?
If win 10 does not boot makes no difference. You should still be able to see the drive in explorer from win 7.
Click on start, Click on computer. Can you see the win 10 drive?

#28 ·
There seems to be some misunderstanding here in regard to sata ports. I have the manual and shows that layout that you depicted here. The arrow pointing as 12 is not port 1 and 2, its a description shown on the following page. That page says on line 12, and I am quoting..."Sata 6.0 Gb/s connectors (Sata6G_1-6). By that i assume there are 6 ports, but i could not find anywhere in the manual is Port 1 or any Port number. With my magnify glass, i do see written in very tiny test for the top of those 3 squares, again quoting, "Sata6G_12,Sata6G_34,Sata6G_56". So how can one identify port 1,2 and etc.?

#32 ·
I've been in the process of doing just that and its going take a couple of days. I still have the 'tool' usb drive, in fact that is the one i have been using to see if i could repair win 10 and it did not help. So I should leave Win 7 as is on the sata hdrive. After copying my data to it, delete win 10 and reinstall win 10 on the ssd drive. ..so during this process both hd's could be connected?
Phew!!! Its been a hard couple of days of saving data from Win 10, and hopefully I got all i wanted. I formatted the Win 10 ( F: drive ). Tomorrow i hope to reinstall Win 10 on the new SSD drive. I finally saw when u were telling me that 1 & 2 are that first bottom box, the fact that they didn't separate 1 & 2 and showed it as 12, didn't help. How does one know which one is #1? Is the top slot or the bottom?

#34 ·
"I installed 2 SSD drives in my PC.
""" This what Frank did for his setup. Now, i am getting confused again. if there are 6 ports as we discussed, that would be 1 to 6, so where is port "0" ?

#35 ·
OK..another snafu...Like I said i formatted the "F" win 10 hd and booted to the media tool. First, it asks for a product key...I recall when i first installed Win 10, I entered my Win 7 PK and it worked, but this time it did not accept it. Then it asked me if i want to keep files and etc of Win 10, and being i don't have Win 10, i chose the other option which if i recall correctly was an upgrade, which in turn it denied me that too. The message i got was "Upgrade option not available. If you start using windows installation Media. If a copy of Windows is already on this pc and you want to upgrade, remove installation Media and restart pc. After windows started normally, insert installation Media and run Windows setup." I don't understand...I thought they were giving Win 10 freely, all of a sudden they're asking for PK's? BTW, i did change ports...i moved the SSD to P1 ( bottom ) by your suggestion and sata ( win 7 ) P2 above it, and yet when i look at my Bios boot tab, it shows Win 7 as P1, and SSD win 10 as P2.

#37 · (Edited)
#36 ·
This is an addition to my above statement. I found out a problem i had was that the creation tool says that my hd is mbr and should be gpt. Now maybe that is the reason it was corrupted? Anyhow a youtube showed a way to convert a hd from mbr to gpt and it did not work for me. During the process we are suppose to press simultanesly the Shift + F10 and a small pgm appears where u convert it. Now this was dated the year 2012. Anyhow those keys did nothing on my keyboard.

#41 ·
To convert MBR to GPT you have to delete the volume or the partition first.
*** This will delete all data on the disc ***
This link will show you how to do that. https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/ho...pt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/
Scroll down
How to Convert Between MBR and GPT: Back Up and Wipe Your Disk
The other option is use a 3rd party program like this one which is free.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html.
Install and run the program. Click on the disk number of the disk you want to convert.
On the left hand side choose the option Convert MBR To GPT (pic attached).

You did not post a link to what you watched so I can not comment on something I have not seen.
Because it is on Youtube does not mean it is right.
So I do not know if they posted the wrong information or if you missed a step.

Attachments

#46 ·
Ok, I think I finally got rid of MBR. No one ever suggested that i should remove the system reserved section. I took it upon myself by formatting it and then did the command prompt Diskpart again, and this time it converted to GPT. So now the entire disk is Unallocated...BUT, now comes another snag. As i was installing win 10, i got the message that my partition is too small and it should be at least 110241 MB. Previously it was only 59 MB. and so, I am stopped again. Am I suppose to set up the hd with partitions in order to succeed? BTW, what does it mean that my partition is too small? I thought Unallocated meant no partition? I checked Disk Management again and this time, Ghosts created 100MB of System Reserved. Win 10 says at least should be 10241, and the computer sets it at 100MB, which is similar to my other Disk that has Win 7.

#47 ·
No one ever suggested that i should remove the system reserved section.
From the instructions
When all the partitions are removed from the disk, you can right-click the disk in Disk Management and select "Convert to GPT Disk" or "Convert to MBR Disk." This option will only be available once all partitions have been wiped.
I am stopped again. Am I suppose to set up the hd with partitions in order to succeed
Windows 10 should set this up automatically.
Are you using a Win 10 install tool from Microsoft?
From this site here https://www.howtogeek.com/192772/what-is-the-system-reserved-partition-and-can-you-delete-it/
The System Reserved partition consumes 100 MB of space on Windows 7, 350 MB of space on Windows 8, and 500 MB of space on Windows 10. The partition is typically created during the Windows installation process, just before the installer allocates space for the main system partition.

Can you open disk manager in windows 7 and take a screen shot of what your drive looks like?
How to take screen shot
https://www.library.illinois.edu/staff/it/howto/snippingtool/

#49 ·
The odd thing is you already had windows 10 on that drive so one would assume that the drive was already
GPT. Since you were getting an error saying that the drive must be GPT.
Do you know if your bios is set as UFEI or Legacy ?
Have a look in your bios can you see CSM if yes is it enabled or not? it should be under boot menu. See attached. Is os type set to UFEI Mode.
It is strange that windows 10 is not creating the correct 500MB System.
2 Choices
1) Use Mini tool partition program to resize the 100mb to 500mb https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html
and see if windows will install or
2) Disconnect win 7 drive and install win 10.
I will ask someone else to look at this and give advise
@crjdriver

#50 ·
Boy this is a long thread. I read through most of it.
No, you do not need to partition or format prior to installing win10. Very important; have only the drive on which you want to install windows connected. Pull the pw connectors from ALL other drives. When you are finished with the install, you can then shutdown and connect any other drive.
Before attempting another install, either wipe the drive you are intending on installing win10 OR simply run the diskpart>clean command. Be sure your bios is set to uefi and not auto or legacy. Run the install.

#51 ·
I agree, this thread is long, but i keep hitting snags along the way and some suggestions seem to conflict. Some here say leave both hd's connected, and now i hear to disconnect Win 7. I did not have a problem formatting the disk while both hd's connected, if that is any indication. I did check Bios and yes its set for UFEI, not legacy. I will try PeterOZ suggestion to alter hopefully the system reserved to 500MB

#52 ·
If you want it to work, you have only the drive on which you install win10 connected. If you have more than one drive windows setup will install it's boot/config files to the root of the drive in the first sata port. Unlike linux where you can specify where those files are installed, windows does not give you the choice. This is even more important if one of your drives is M.2.

#53 · (Edited)
I downloaded the Mini Partition wizard and it went straight to my c drive...and yet the instruction says something about make sure u format the usb drive, which i had inserted...more confusion. It shows my drive as disk 2, whereas Diskmanager showed it as disk1...regardless, it does show it unallocated and i highlighted the system reserved to move over and make it 500mb, but i do not see the "Move' mode to do so. The system reserved shows a blue line and it says 'delete pending'...and i do not know if that is the right thing to do. I thought the move as the instructions show, would either make the unalloacated smaller and the S R. larger to 500

#54 · (Edited)
You are making this way harder than it needs to be. You do not need any third party tools or anything else. Just a win10 install usb.
1 Use a working system to make the win10 install usb
2 Have all drives disconnected except the drive on which you want to install windows
3 Boot the system with the install usb
4 Do not choose install; choose repair your computer>troubleshoot>command prompt
5 Type "diskpart" without quotes and hit enter
6 Type list disk. Hit enter. There should be only one. Type select disk [whatever number diskpart gave it]
7 Type clean hit enter.
8 Reboot with the install usb still in the port and now install windows, install drivers, etc
Done.

#55 ·
I'm only following the advice given to me about downloading certain pgms. BY your saying to use Win10 install usb, i suspect your meaning the microsoft creation tool. That is what I have been using and still come across snags, result PeterOX suggests to download the Mini tool. I will try this time to unplug Win 7 and try again, after doing the diskpart. I hope it works this time. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.