Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win 11, can't dual boot win 7

818 views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Bought new dell 7700 aio. Reloaded win 11. Partitioned drives. Unable to get dual boot w win 7 ( for legacy software). Current install has no encrypted drives. Made a USB and DVD with bootleg and win 7 iso. Fails in setup. Been frustrated for 3 days now. Had to switch off uefi in boot menu. When I created a USB bootable, got error on creation that did not contain bootsect. DVD does not run when selecting on f12 boot menu. Ideas? Thx

#3 ·
set bios to legacy
hard drive format mbr
install 7
install 11
Test Should work. Is best to always install older version of windows first.
Easy way
Install Virtual Box and run 7 as virtual
2 monitors Win 7 on one win 11 on 2nd monitor

#4 ·
I tried virtual boot on my prior computer but I was unable to enable USB ports for connecting the hardware I was programing and also could not figure out accessing the save data files when using the host os. How can I load win7 on Sep partition with win11 on c? I can solve the boot issues using easy bcd.

#5 ·
I tried virtual boot on my prior computer but I was unable to enable USB ports for connecting the hardware I was programing and also could not figure out accessing the save data files when using the host os. How can I load win7 on Sep partition with win11 on c? I can solve the boot issues using easy bcd.

#6 ·
I was just goi g teo try VM again but the vbox would not load because of a security conflict with the memory integrity. I do not know what the risk is if I turn it off. Also, if I am in using older software, I am guessing I should load vbox 32bit.?

#7 ·
ok, so i have a lot of progress and like your suggestion for vm. got vm loaded and os working. loaded vm workstation trying to be able to copy and past between vm and host. I cant locate what the program wants to associate with the vm win 7. *.vmx *.ovf *.ova isearched c: but did not find it

#8 ·
As I recall, when I had a similar setup I simply set up file (and printer) sharing between the two systems since when the Windows 7 (in your case) is booted the systems are on a (virtual) LAN. But, I never had to deal with the mostly broken file sharing in Windows 10 or 11.

#10 ·
Main pc is win11 and loaded win 7 x32 (for legacy program) using vm virtual box and also vmware workstation 16 player. trying to set up copy/paste but have tried all I read avbout online but still not working. also would like to print as well. have turned on file/printer sharing but still not working.

appreciate help in solving this. thx

#12 ·
I loaded VM to load win 7 x32. In trying to solve transferring files between host and VM , I read somewhere I also needed to have workstation for tools or something else. I don't think I loaded an separate os on workstation. Sorry for the misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.