Win 11 upgrade/install depends on having a TPM

Johnny b

John
Windows 11 won't work without a TPM - What you need to know
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ont-work-without-a-tpm-what-you-need-to-know/

Windows 11 requires a TPM security processor to install or upgrade to Windows 11. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of confusion about what type of TPM you need and why you need it in the first place.
However, after many people ran the tool, they discovered it was reporting that "This PC can't run Windows 11," even on devices that run Windows 10 flawlessly.

For those with hardware purchased over the past couple of years, the likely reason you see this message is that your computer does not have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) installed.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Too much attention is being put on TPM.
What is getting very little attention is the processor.
According to what I have been reading from Microsoft, an 8th generation or newer processor is needed.
That would explain why my Dell Precision 3620 with TPM 2.0 and an Intel Core i7-6700 processor is flagged as not being supported.

By the way, the original PC Health Check tool has some bugs in it, so Microsoft is working on releasing a new one.

-------------------------------------------------

Johnny b

John
?

This is what I found for minimum requirements, Frank.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC).
  • RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater.
  • Storage: 64 GB* or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.
    • Additional storage space might be required to download updates and enable specific features.
  • Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
  • System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
  • TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
  • Display: High definition (720p) display, 9" or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.
  • Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
    • Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Click your "compatible 64-bit processor" link, then scroll down to "Windows 11 - Supported Intel Processors", then click that link, then scroll through the list.
When you scroll through the list of Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors, you will not find any that are older than 8th generation.

--------------------------------------------------

Johnny b

John
Click your "compatible 64-bit processor" link, then scroll down to "Windows 11 - Supported Intel Processors", then click that link, then scroll through the list.
When you scroll through the list of Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors, you will not find any that are older than 8th generation.

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I missed that.

Seems misleading stating 1ghz would be sufficient.

As you all know....I'm not affected. :D

I suspect those kind of necessary cpu-s will generate an increase of new pc sales.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect those kind of necessary cpu-s will generate an increase of new pc sales.
Indeed. That's when I put my conspiracy tinfoil hat on, John. We have a few Gen 7's on our domain, so I'm sure the departmental heads will be whining they want new whizz-bang PCs or notebooks to accommodate Win 11.

crjdriver

For you guys with later model ryzen processors, the processor itself has fTPM which can be enabled in the bios.

Attachments

crjdriver

I am kind of wondering since this is disabled by default in the bios, IF you update your bios [defaults are loaded when you update] Will win11 fail to boot? The world wonders.....

Couriant

James
As to the TPM, that should be a non-issue for most computers from October 2014 onwards as those should have TPM 2.0... The Dells we get have TPM on by default...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts