1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2 K external HDD trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simon mc, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simon mc

simon mc Thread Starter

Hi all.

I'm a newbie to this forum, long time looker but now a member.

I have just bought an odsonic external HDD enclosure with a samsung 300 GB HDD inside.

I have run it on my laptop (win XP home) & formatted it too, and had no problems

BUT on my desktop (cel 2.4 256K Win 2 K I cannot get windows to install a driver.

I have downloaded a driver from the ODSONIC site, pointed to it in the add hardware wizard, copied it to Windows.inf and pointed to it, all to no avail.

I have searched the existing threads, but found nothing to help.

Any suggestions

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I'm not sure, but isn't it about disk size? I know, Win XP became able to handle partitions bigger than ~130 GB only after installing Service Pack 1. Is that implemented in Win 2k at all?
    I suggest you to try the same enclosure with a smaller HDD, like 20 GB, if you have one.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

2K needs to be service pack 4 and you should not need any drivers.

4. simon mc

simon mc Thread Starter

Thanks so far !

Malacka, sorry I don't have another HDD to try.

Dave, I am running SP 4,

I should also say I have had issues with some USB thumb drives previously too ????

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you looked in Admin tools/Computer Management/disk management to see if it is in there??
    If it is, assign a drive letter to it.

6. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

If you have problems with other USB devices, then perhaps it is not related to the HDD enclosure. Check the USB settings in BIOS. Your motherboard also may need some drivers to support USB.
    Another line of thought: if the desktop is an older one, it might not have USB 2.0 support at all. Is the enclosure backward compatible?

7. simon mc

simon mc Thread Starter

Thanks again guys.

Dave, yes have looked in Admin tools, not there.

Malacka, only some storage devices on USB, mouse & keyboard, digi camera and some memory sticks are fine ??

What do you mean by backward compatible?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice