1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 2000 and 98 dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MikeMike, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeMike

MikeMike Thread Starter

Currently have 98 se on 30 gb hard drive with an 80gd slave drive.Can i install win2000 on 30gb drive and format 80gb drive to ntfs?
    mike

2. ratchet

ratchet

I just finished a dual boot setup 98/2Kpro.

A couple of things you should know;

1)Win2K will check all drives in your system, if it finds a problem it cannot fix you will not be able to load Win2K. It will find disk problems that 98 overlooks. (I had to toss a 10 gig:( )

2) It is recomended to install 98 first.

You can delete, create and format partions with Win2K cd, Fat32 for 98, Fat32 or NTFS for Win2K.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Never install two operating systems on the same disk partition. If you want a dual boot with W98/W2K, you'll have to make the C: drive FAT format, since that's required by the W98 boot files. I'd recommend that you install W98 on the C: drive first, then W2K on another partiton or drive next. It will setup the dual boot for you if you install in that order.

4. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

I would second the suggestion Johnwill makes. Always have different OSs one separate partitions/disks and always the earlier version of Windows on the first partition/disk and the second one on the second partition/disk.

5. Del

Del

I only have one hard drive but I partitioned it into 8 gig sections. Have Wn ME, Win 2000 Pro and Win XP all installed and working fine. You just need to install the oldest one first to make it easy.

6. MikeMike

MikeMike Thread Starter

Thanks guys, please bear with me,I'm unfamiliar with this but learning.
    Ok,can I partition the C drive that has 98 already on it without losing any info on the drive?I have about15g of free space left on that drive.And then install 2000 pro on the new partition and then format the slave 80gb drive to NTFS.The reason im doing this is because the FAT 32 doesnt support file size bigger than 4 gb,and I'm told the NTFS does.
    Mike

7. Del

Del

First, if you want to partition your existing HDD without losing anything, you'll have to use software like Partition Magic.
    Second, I'm not sure of the size, but FAT32 should work on a HDD of 20G. I had to update my BIOS to do it but was not because of using FAT32, cause of the BIOS>
    Maybe someone knowing HDD's better can jump in here and explain better.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have two 120gig hard disks in USB 2.0 cases here, formatted FAT32 so that W98 can read them. I also have several that are in IDE drive drawers, same size. They're talking to my W2K and XP systems just fine, so we can lay the myth of that limitation to rest. :) The only limits imposed by W2K/XP is they won't format a FAT32 partition larger than 32gigs for you, but they'll use one without any difficulty.

9. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

You can resize a Win XP 32 GB FAT32 partition after installation of the OS to any size you like using Partition Magic 8.

10. ratchet

ratchet

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!