1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2000 inaccessable_boot_device stop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GameFreak24, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GameFreak24

GameFreak24 Thread Starter

I have a Dell latitude CPi Laptop with Win 2000, but i recently got a blue screen stop during startup saying inaccesable_boot_device. I dont have the OS cd to reload the OS and every time i start it, it does this. I cant get to windows to troubleshoot it. WHAT SHOULD I DO? :confused:

2. MontyL

MontyL

Any recent changes or additions made to your laptop?

And, what's the complete STOP: line?

3. GameFreak24

The only change I have made recently is to use the subst command in command prompt to create a virtual drive so that i could play a game.
    The whole STOP: line is this: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFE4DE230,0xC0000185,0x00000000,0x000000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

4. MontyL

MontyL

Sorry... offline for a few days.

subst is a temporary thing, wouldn't have caused what you're experiencing.

Lacking any physical changes to the machine, it's possibly a virus issue, have you kept your antivirus software up-to-date? Try the scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com.

5. GameFreak24

I cant use my computer to do a scan on it. It stops during startup.

6. MontyL

MontyL

Make a set of recovery disks (floppies) using the updated antivirus software on a running machine, boot from them to scan the laptop's drive for virii.

Is recovering this machine as low priority to you as it seems to me? Your responses are delayed and don't seem to address the questions asked...
    got no response about that, so I don't know whether to follow this particular avenue or drop it.

Lacking hardware changes to a machine, the only ways to get an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE are boot virus and corruption (registry, drivers or physical drive). Registry corruption can be repaired if you can get into Safe Mode or Last Known Good from the boot menu (hit F8 when the startup twirly appears, try Last Known Good first, Safe second). If neither one works, the next step is to run Repair from the CD, which you don't have... I don't suppose you created a recovery set when 2000 was installed?

7. GameFreak24

This laptop is not low priority, but i am a student, and am busy all of the time, so I cannot check messages evry night. Also, I have almost given up on it because everything I try fails to solve my problem.

I do not have antivirus software installed, but do not use the laptop to access the internet, either, so I do not know how I would have gotten a virus, but its worth a try.

Also, how would I go about making the recovery floppies? I have tried safe mode and last known good configuration, but nothing worked. I do not have a recovery set because I did not install Win 2000 , it came with the laptop when I bought it from a person. They did not include the CD's.

8. GameFreak24

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate you helping me VERY MUCH (and would like you to continue helping me) and im sorry i forgot to address one of your ideas, but if you think I am wasting your time, I can get someone else to help me. :(

9. MontyL

MontyL

Not a problem, it just seemed like you were only "somewhat" interested in resolving it. :)

The worst part about not getting the CD with the laptop is that you don't have a legal copy of Windows... let alone not having any way to reinstall it. Personally, I'd be looking for the seller, to obtain that CD and license. :)

The recovery set is generated from the running copy of Windows, usually first thing to do after installation, and is something that needs to be updated whenever serious changes occur. Besides being a way to boot when disaster strikes, it holds a snapshot of the registry. Until we get it running, we don't have that to rely on...

My
    shouldn't have used the phrase "recovery set", it was too early in the morning and I only got one cup of coffee down when I posted it. What I was trying to describe was to use a running machine, with antivirus software that's up-to-date, to create what would more appropriately be called an emergency clean set (using Norton's nomenclature), which is nothing more than a boot floppy and data disks whose only purpose is to do a full system scan for any virii the software is capable of detecting. If it's a boot virus your laptop has, an up-to-date emergency clean set should find and fix it.

Only trouble is... I'm not certain that you'll be able to create such a set using the newer software. My Norton 2004 sure doesn't seem to have the ability...

I'll see what I can dig up. For now, I need to post this since another IE window crashed... :)

10. GameFreak24

It's wierd, the person i bought the laptop from said HE installed Win 2000 when he sold it to me, but then when i emailed him to ask for either the win 2000 cd's or the win 98 that it came with, he said he didnt have either and that it didnt come with any. He then siad he would sell HIS copy of win 2000 to me. I thought this was strange, since he said he installed win 2000 on it when he got it before. I said that he sold me the software with the computer and that I need the cd's but he said they are his.

11. MontyL

MontyL

He sounds like a really nice guy... :)

caveat emptor...

Of course it "came with" something... I suspect he got it the same way you did; without the CDs and documentation.

Much the same way as transferring the title of ownership for a car, there is a simple rule to follow with software: if it goes with, it all goes with. Individual products agreements vary, but that's the simple way to look at it.

From the Windows 2000 End User License Agreement (bold and underline mine):

Effectively, because of the fact he didn't comply with the EULA terms, he sold you a bare laptop without a legitimate operating system, installed or not. I'm sure Microsoft would be interested in hearing about it.

Take a look at the bottom of the laptop, you should find a Microsoft sticker with the original OS's license number and type. Check out Software Pircay Protection at Microsoft, and check with Dell to see if you can order replacement media for the OEM Windows they originally installed (two reasons: you have a legal OS to run, and you have one that can be used to qualify for "upgrade" pricing on 2000 or XP).

With the knowledge of your license situation, I hope you understand that I have no choice but to back off and let you flounder... being a registered OEM Systembuilder I'm obligated to assist Microsoft in their anti-piracy efforts.

Since I have no pertinent information about you, there's nothing for me to report, so don't sweat that. Whether you use the reporting tool on the above linked Microsoft site is up to you; I would recommend using it as leverage with the seller of your laptop to (at the very least) obtain the original Dell package it came with. If that means he needs to go after who he bought if from, so be it.

A choice for you: work on him or Dell to get it all, or bag it and go buy Windows. You will have to purchase a "full" version, not an "upgrade", since you don't have anything to start from.

Sorry you're in this bind...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice