1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2000 Net Work question/problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bassetman, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Hi

I am updating a Web Site for someone, and they asked me about this situation. I have limited Net Work knowledge and none with Win 2000.

Could some of you please offer advice on this?

Thanks

We are using Windows 2000 on our 6 computers (we will be adding another shortly) and are currently set up with a server (accually a Dell windows "Home" is our server) and have been having a lot of problems with our computers locking up and even losing some information. Plus we have a seperate email server - no one really knows what that consists of - it was built by a friend of ****'s. We have occasionally had problems with emails taking days to get to their address (even internally).

Our question is: Do we really even need a server or can we just network all the computers together? We don't have a backup system except for our billing; we use a zip disk. We should probably have everything backed up. Can we do that without a server? We have priced two new servers with a cost of about $5,000 plus installation.

Let me know if you need any more information. Thank you so much for helping us with this.

2. blin

blin

since you have over 5 users and email syste, it is better to have a server.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

bassetman,

Seems like $5,000 plus installation for a server solution seems a bit pricey for six computers you have. Even the need for a a full blown server for that few would seem a bit unnecessary. Windows2000 or XP Pro should work fine for under 10 users. A lot depends on what your actual requirement are. But if it is just basic file storage, I don't see the need to spend that much money for so few computers.

If you have XP Home, and are trying to use 6 other computers, might explain part of the problem. XP Home only allows connections from 5 other computers at a time.

1. What is the e-mail server and do you really need it?
    2. Are the computers locking up because of network issues or just in general?

For backups, if you organize your data in to a shared directory on the server, with any necessary subdirectories below that, it is a simple matter to copy them to another removable hard drive on a scheduled nightly basis. Depending on the size, it is often easy to have 5 days worth on two different drives. That gives you 10 days worth of backups for not very much cost.

4. bassetman

I have sent your reply on to them. To the best of my knowledge as of now, they are all Win 2000. I have asked for more info. ;)

THanks for the reply! :D

BTW what do you think of the possibility of a bad router in the system?

Thanks

5. bassetman

Here is the reply I got back from the info I gave them on the last post:

... The server is a XP Home. The 4 computers are Windows 2000 Pro and 1 is a XP Pro.

We do use the server as a basic file storage. Most of the time there are only 3 of us in the office using the computers (Windows 2000) at one time but will be purchasing another soon. So that doesn't sound like the server being and XP Home is the problem.

No one knows what the email server is - someone built it from parts. Is there any way for us to find out what it is? I don't know if we need it. Would it be better to have everything on one server? - What do you think?

I don't know it the computers lock up because of server issues - how do you know? It is usually an individual computer that locks up in a program such and QuickBooks, Outlook or Word. Another time one of us could not get into "My Documents". It is not all of us at the same time and not the same program. It happens to one of us about once a week. Usually the problem is solved by restarting the computer.

I hope this helps some. Let me know if there are any other questions to help solve our problem.

Thanks,

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the description, it sounds like you have computers locking up just from general use. If that is the case then it's a bit difficult to find a cause. As a general rule I like to do a basic file cleanup, spyware and virus scan.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice