win 2000 on top of win 98??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JChan

Greetings,

Looks like I need to at a min reload 98 on top of itself. Think I will go to win 2000 instead (more stable). Any advice or concerns I should be aware of???? Thanx.

If you are concerned about stability, I would recommend a clean install of Windows2000 rather than installing on top of Win98.

Just get a Hardware Compatibility Report first. You can connect to Microsoft web site and run it from there, or, I think you can run it from the Win 2K installation CD...

JChan, as Bob said, do a clean install of 2000. But first, download and run Everist Home Edition(free):
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en
You really need to get the drivers for 2000, for your video card, sound card, modem, and other add ins, before you do the install. Motherboard drivers also.(It's a whole lot easier to navigate the net with a properly functioning PC.) Everist will help you with getting to the right website to determine where, or more importantly, IF drivers are available for your hardware.I had a graphics tablet that did not have drivers available for 2000. (it found a new home) www.driverguide.com is a good source for oddball and older drivers. Have your firewall and virus program ready to install before getting on-line. You may even want to download SP4 and the Service pack Rollup, for 2000 and put them on CD also.(or a second hard drive)
If I had known how much smoother and reliable 2000 is over 98, I would've put the high dollar 2000 on here a long time ago. Good luck and any other questions, just post back to this thread.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online