Win 2000 printer problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dsch

Hello:

I've got a laptop with OEM installation of Windows 2000, approximately 4 years old. With various upgrades and patches, the operating system is now 5.00.2195, service pack 4.

I have an ancient version of Quicken, and an office billing program, both DOS programs, which I have use for many years, migrated to this computer four years ago, and for 3 1/2 years, was able to print reports from them just fine. Both of these programs are essential for basic business functions.

About six months ago, printing from these programs was no longer possible. Thinking it might be the printer driver (less traumatic than trying to reinstall the operating system) I went to the Hewlett-Packard site, and downloaded the most recent driver version 4.3 for the DeskJet 840C, even though their diagnostic said that was the driver I currently had. As the reinstall procedure commenced, I got a small dialog box with the error "cannot find shell .dll". Is this a clue to the problem?

The OEM operating system disc that I have is service pack 2, so I suspect trying to run that as a reinstall would cause havoc. Microsoft has a service pack 4 rollup update available, which I could install.

The loss of printing function from DOS programs did not coincide with any installation of new software that I am aware of, although some kind of virus problem may of course have occurred. A full scan has been run on the system, it is currently clean.

Looking for any advice or procedures to follow to try to get the DOS printing functions back. Yes, I could upgrade to a version of Quicken that is less than 10 years old, but the office billing software holds a lot of information and is not easily updated to a new version. Call me a Luddite, but if I can get this work, I will be very happy.

Thanks for any assistance the community can give.

prior to this problem was everything working ok ?
did you install any new software or windows update ?
what antivirus program did you use for the scan ?

and yes about this you said "cannot find shell .dll". Is this a clue to the problem? that can be part of the problem

try this click on start run type sfc /scannow and have your windows cd ready on the cdrom drive reboot machine after

dsch

Thanks for the reply:

prior to this problem was everything working ok ?

YES

did you install any new software or windows update ?

NOT THAT I RECALL

what antivirus program did you use for the scan ?

NORTON

and yes about this you said "cannot find shell .dll". Is this a clue to the problem? that can be part of the problem

try this click on start run type sfc /scannow and have your windows cd ready on the cdrom drive reboot machine after

DID THIS (including the reboot), IT APPEARED TO FIND A DLL OR TWO TO REPLACE, on searching, I seem to have two copies of this file - one located at :

C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache

and one at

C:\WINNT\system

but still unable to print out of the DOS programs, what do you suggest next?

Thanks

try this type the following line at a command prompt: net use lpt1: \\servername\printer_share /persistent:yes
In your 16-bit program, print to LPT1. You can assign other LPT ports to MS-DOS-based 16-bit programs if the program has to use other ports.

also try with norton desable for testing

next will be to see your log from this program http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

and the two copys of dllcache is Ok

dsch

RE:

net use lpt1: \\servername\printer_share /persistent:yes

Hi

Before I do this, what goes in "servername"? This is a standalone computer, not networked. The default printer is already set to LPT1, always has been, works fine for everything else.

Yes, it is the 16 bit programs that are toast on printing.

Thanks

make it printer name sample is \\printername /persistent:yes

something else you can try is this 1. Start Registry Editor.
2. Locate the Printers value under the following key in the registry:
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
3. Remove the printers that are installed under this key. For example, remove the following key for a Generic Text/Only printer:
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Generic / Text Only

After you do this, reinstall the drivers for your printer.

also make sure you post that log I ask you norton those not pick up everything and this can also be a spyware problem

is also a good Idea to try with a nother user account

dsch

Hi

Tried the command prompt line ,got mssage that syntax was incorrect, not clear what wants compared to what you suggested.

There is no other user acct, this is set up for single user, stand alone computer.

Did not yet try regedit procedure.

Thanks

dsch

Hi

tried it as

net use lpt1: \\printername /persistent:yes

did not get the same syntax error message, but it says

"System error 67 has occurred

The network name cannot be found"

Does this help? What is it looking for? This computer is not on a network.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online