1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2000 Pro Boot.ini on Dos partition rather than OS partition!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kapp Records, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapp Records

Kapp Records Thread Starter

Hi, all.

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and after years of hitting f8 for a safeboot, I decided to see if I could edit boot.ini and add a safeboot option to the menu.

Anyway, that's not what I'm asking about (unless someone knows a good method :) ).

I reinstalled my OS several months ago, and decided that I might want a dual boot in the future. I already had an old, smaller drive in the machine that's labeled the c: drive.
    Reading one time that for security purposes it's good to have your OS on a drive other than C:, I decided to not alter the drive lettering.

I then partitioned a new internal hard drive into several logical drives. I formatted the D: partition as a Dos fat32 partition and the rest as NFTS partitions. Somehow, I allowed the D: partition to be the primary partition, while the E: partition which contains the Win 2000 Pro OS Winnt directory is a logical drive.

When I just checked disk management, I noticed that not only is boot.ini on the D: Dos partition, but so is ntldr along with the following Dos setup files:

ndetect.com
    arcsetup.exe
    arcldr.exe

I always have "hidden files and folders" and "operating system files" unchecked in tools/folder options so another boot.ini file would have been clearly visible if it was on the E: root drive. Just to be search I did a file search, and the D: dos partition did indeed contain the only boot.ini file.

Does this cause any unforseen boot-up problems and does it matter what partition boot.ini is on? What happens if I use a Disk Imaging program like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost? Doesn't the Boot.ini file have to be on the same partition along with ntldr in order to restore the OS?

I've been running like this for several months now, and I haven't had any problems. Since the hard drive is practically full, should I buy another drive, swap drives, reload the OS and boot from the new drive? In that instance I would just reformat the old OS partition and convert the drive to an external drive with a enclosure case (or leave it in
    case I need a 2nd bootup drive in an emergency).

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

I would suggest first thing is to backup all of your important data if you have not already done this to another media like CD-R's, DVD, Thumb drive(s) or the such and then install the new larger drive and do a partitioning of the drives and then make plans on the dual boot and what operating systems you have or want to use and install OS's and programs and restore all data and then install for dual boot. This may seem like the long way around but it actually is the shortest way to go.

3. Kapp Records

Kapp Records Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.

Is it that serious to have the boot.ini and ntldr on the D: Dos partition?

What if I reformatted the D: and E: partitions as both NTFS partitions, forgot about a dual boot for the time being, and reloaded my OS on the D: partition. I would then format the E: partition as a fat32 Dos partition at a later date?

I still have to find a copy of MS-Dos anyway, so the Dos boot can boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice