1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 2000 sp4 problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marydin, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

Yesterday I installed SP4 and since then my computer is acting strange. The sound driver is gone, when I rebooted, it says Plug and play error (something like that) three times, and then press F1 to continue or F2 to see setup. Well, I continued and it took 5 minutes to load up desktop. After that its ok, but have no sound. I have Dell P4, W2K Pro, 512 MB Ram, 60 Gb harddrive, cpu speed is 1.6 GHz. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried to uninstall sp4? If you elected to save old system files, then the uninstall option should be in add / remove programs.
    When you install a service pack, make sure antivirus software is off, clean temp files, disk cleanup, etc. I am not a fan of express install; I have seen many problems such as what you discribe. I always use the full [network] version of the service pack. After installing sp4 on approx 20 boxes not one problem has been noted.

3. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

OK. I uninstalled sp4 and reinstalled using the full version. I then restarted and got the same msg, plug and play failed 3 times. Incidentally, right after I uninstalled sp4, I was prompted to restart and got a screen called a "stop screen". It was blue, but not the blue screen of death. It said to try restarting, and if that didn't work to go into safe mode. I did restart and it did end up booting up fine except of course for the plug and play errors. When I check sound in control panel, the device manager says this device cannot start. What should I try now? thank you!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would seem that your sound driver will not work with sp4. Go to the mgf's site and see if there is an updated version. If so download and install and see if that helps.
    If there is no updated version, I would do a repair install of win2k then update to sp3 and see if that helps. Were you installing sp4 for the 2.0 usb support? If so there some drivers on MS site that will work with sp3 and usb 2.0.

5. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

I reinstalled my sound driver and it worked fine. But upon restarting it goes away again. I gave up cause everything was fine until I installed SP4, I just did it b/c it was supposedly "critical". Anyway, it reset, but now I don't have Java VM anymore and can't use certain websites! How can i get it back without installing sp4? Its probably obvious but I can't seem to find it on Windows site, and whenever I am at a website that uses it a window pops up saying I need it and I can choose to download it then and there. Then after about a second it takes me to a microsoft page about java vm with some boring article, but nowhere to download.

6. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

In my previous post just a few minutes ago I don't think I made it clear that I just flat out uninstalled sp4.

7. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

AND I'm still getting those plug and play errors on startup even after uninstalling sp 4. But after uninstalling, it certainly starts ten times faster.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would do the repair install, then update to sp3 or whatever sp you were running. To do a repair install boot with your win2k cd. After setup loads you will see the first menu giving the choice of install or repair. Do not choose repair [that is the recovery console a very useful tool just not what we want at this time] choose to install. Setup will detect your previous win2k install and offer to repair it for you; let it do so. After you are finished with the repair install, then install drivers / sp in this order.

1) Operating system
    2) Update to the sp of your choice [probably 3]
    3) Install chipset / motherboard drivers
    4) Do DirectX update
    5) Install drivers for sound, nic, raid, etc
    6) Install video driver last.

Installing in this order will give you the most stable system.

9. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

Would doing this erase the files I have currently on the computer?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!