1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2000 will not boot message below

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rickvo, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickvo

rickvo Thread Starter

I came back from a week long Vacation and went to startup my computer and got the message below. The computer was functioning perfectly before I left.

Message on boot up was. Windows could not start because the following file was missing or corrupt, “ \WINNT\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEMced”
    STARTUP OPTIONS FOR WINDOWS 2000, PRESS F8

I tried to repair windows every way I could think of with the CD and the emergency repair disc, nothing worked. I then installed an additional copy of Win 2000 on the hard drive and copied all of my files onto a CD, that worked fine. I then reformatted the entire HD and re-installed a fresh install of Win 2000 . I then installed most of my programs and windows updates ect. (this included restarting many times…. Everything was working fine and I shut it down for the night. The next morning I started it up and got the same message as above??

What do you think? Bad HD, Virus?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive. You will need to know the mgf of your hd; if you do not know open the case and it will be written on the drive.

3. rickvo

rickvo Thread Starter

Downloaded and ran the hd mgf's utility.. it showed up bad...the good news is its under warranty! Thanks for the help!!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice