Win 2000 will not boot message below

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rickvo

I came back from a week long Vacation and went to startup my computer and got the message below. The computer was functioning perfectly before I left.

Message on boot up was. Windows could not start because the following file was missing or corrupt, “ \WINNT\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEMced”
STARTUP OPTIONS FOR WINDOWS 2000, PRESS F8

I tried to repair windows every way I could think of with the CD and the emergency repair disc, nothing worked. I then installed an additional copy of Win 2000 on the hard drive and copied all of my files onto a CD, that worked fine. I then reformatted the entire HD and re-installed a fresh install of Win 2000 . I then installed most of my programs and windows updates ect. (this included restarting many times…. Everything was working fine and I shut it down for the night. The next morning I started it up and got the same message as above??

What do you think? Bad HD, Virus?

crjdriver

Download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive. You will need to know the mgf of your hd; if you do not know open the case and it will be written on the drive.

rickvo

Downloaded and ran the hd mgf's utility.. it showed up bad...the good news is its under warranty! Thanks for the help!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online