1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drafter, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I hope I am posting this in the right place. Im not sure if this is an operating system issue or a hardware issue. Recently I decided to upgrade my computer and operating system I had the following:
    -winnt4.0 workstation
    -4gb hdd for a master
    -cdrom on the secondary as a master
    -64mb 72 pin ram.
    -p133 cpu

I have up graded to the following:
    -win 2000 professional
    -8gb hdd for a master
    -4gb hdd for a slave
    -cdrom on the secondary as a master
    -64mb 72 pin ram. (4 16mb simms)
    -1-64mb 168 pin dimm (only showing 16mb) for a total of 80mb ram
    -p133 cpu

Now my computer is radomly rebooting itself once or twice a day, I don't know why. Got an Idea's?

2. knologseeker

knologseeker

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you have the bare minimum requirements for Windows 2000. However, I have successfully ran it with only 32MB of RAM so maybe that isn't so bad. The one I had was Slow!!!

It may be a hardware conflict. Have you tried running the winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly? It will check the system for compatibility with Windows 2000. Usually you would do this before installing, but it may clue you to what is the problem.

I have installed it on a 333 computer before and it worked fine for about a month then it crashed. After some research, I found out 2000 did not support some video driver I was using.

You may also want to check out the Setuperr.log(shows the errors that occurred during setup) and the Setupact.log(shows the setup actions in order) for possible hints.

I hope something here helps you.

3. $teve

$teve

definately not enough ram............it may just be the bare minimum for your o/s but as soon as you task it further it will fall over.
    if your pocket will support it,go and buy a 128meg ram stick,its very cheap at the moment.........but beware......the price is ready to jump big time in the new year....be warned y`all!
    good luck:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice