1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2003 SBS logon problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by north1, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. north1

north1 Thread Starter

I had this server installed by a technician as a file server. I tried to upgrade it a few times but the settings were so tight it wouldnt even allow automatic updates. There is no antivirus program on the server but all the worstations do. My problem now is that I can't log on to the server. It accepts my user and pass, prepares network connections, then I see the desktop for a second or two and then loops back to the logon screen (ctrl+alt+del). Many other owners have this same problem but I havent found anyone with a fix. I am able to access the server thru a workstation and found the server to have a virus (win32 Parite) which apparently does not damage the files. I have scanned it many times with AVG and at the end of the scan it says must reboot to heal, but since I am using a workstation to scan, it is the workstation that reboots and the virus is not healed. I have rebooted the server also by killing the battery but no luck. I dont know if both problems are related but they likely are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rhynes

rhynes

Have you tried a remote access login? Chances are the server isn't set to accept connections but it's worth a try.... Click on start -> run... -> type mstsc in the box and ok. Enter the server ip address and see if you get a logon screen.

Otherwise, you'll have to reboot the server in safe mode and try to clean out the virus.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

4. north1

north1 Thread Starter

rhynes.. I have tried the remote connection but its not enabled.. thanks for your reply.
    Wanderer2.. the server is set to accept local logons..it does accept my user and pass.. it then goes on to prepare network connections, see the desktop for a split second then goes back to the ctrl-alt-del screen and keeps looping this way. As far as killing the battery..thought it would shut itself down properly and heal the virus as was suggested by avg on the workstation. Since I cannot login.. I cant change any settings..can only access shared files through the network. Thanks for your response.

5. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Did you try loging in as administrator? Does this happen will ALL accounts?
    Can you access in safe mode?

Load mmc at a pc and then load that servers computer management console. What do the event logs say?

6. north1

north1 Thread Starter

I have tried both admin accounts and get the looping described above. Same result in safe mode. Wont accept limited user accounts. Here is a list of the files I can see through the network. Address Client Apps Clients Fax Client NetLogon Program Files SBSSVR.LOG SYSVOL tsclient tsweb and users.
    I couldnt find any event logs through mmc and there was nothing under SBSSVR.LOG
    Any other help would be appreciated.

7. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice