1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 2k does not see hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neo4u, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neo4u

Neo4u Thread Starter

Here's a good one for ya....
    and this happens whether attempting a clean install on newly formatted drive [YAY] or even an upgrade from Win98SE[yuk hate upgrades]

Win2kPro will not see my 60gig Western Digital hard drive...

tried the jumper settings, cables, slots [have 2 on my Mboard]

went thru bios settings, same result no matter what!!

Abit KT7A Raid, 750/Athlon, 320+ ram, updated bios from Sudhian, works like a champ with 98SE is a MONSTER!!

Any ideas? I would really like to use 2kP with this machine....

2. exocet

exocet

When you boot up during the POST, is this where the machine hangs since it cannot find the harddrive? Does the BIOS autodetect the harddrive?

Please provide a little more detail during the bootup process where the machine hangs or you receive an error message!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the BIOS date is 1999 or earlier, there's a good chance it won't recognize a drive larger than 32gigs. Since you provided no system details, that's the only guess I have...

4. Neo4u

Neo4u Thread Starter

It goes through the process until it is preparing to install....even checks the drive....but then I get an error message aborting the install because it can not detect the drive....

and I have installed the latest Bios for the KT7a Raid M-board...

I can put 98SE on it no troubles....XP pro does the same thing as Windows 2kP....gets to that point and aborts due to not detecting the drive....

I have been running 98SE with no troubles at all, it flies....just would prefer 2 k so I can easier network my satellite connection to my GF's machine....2kP is MUCH better for that.....

By the way, I even tried an upgrade [bleh] from a clean install of 98 SE, got to that same point, same error message....both 2kP and XP Pro.....same thing exactly

lookst like any of the NT format OS's simply do NOT like that WD drive!!!!!

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

I think i know whats the problem.
    You have a abit raid motherboard.
    Do you have the HD connected to the raid ide connector with raid on?
    If so you will need to go to abit and download the raid drivers. When your installing win2k or XP it will ask you to install raid, scsi, etc. devices before the software install. Put the drivers on a floppy disk and load them at that point.

If your not using the raid, i would disable it and run the hard drive off the normal ide connector. It should work just fine either way.

I ran into this problem when setting up xp for the first time with the HD on the raid ide connector using a abit st6-r.

I hope this helps!
    Let us know how it turns out....
    Good luck!
    rockinmale:cool:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am guessing from the age of the mb and the size of the hd that ez bios was installed at some point. You can go to WD’s site and download a utility that will uninstall ez bios. Another option is to use a zero fill utility from WD to write zeros to the drive; this makes it just like it was when the drive was new [excepting the wear on the drive]. As previously posted make sure you are on an ide channel not a raid port. I have never been able to install win2k / XP onto an Abit board from the raid port. [Yes I know about loading the raid driver by pushing F6 it just does not seem to work on the KT7 raid] I used to have one and always loaded the os with the hd on ide1, then load the raid driver and switch the cable to ide3 or 4 if you want.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice