1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2k & Easy CD Creator 5 = broken internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tfavro, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tfavro

tfavro Thread Starter

So got Easy CD Creator 5 Deluxe, and installed it on my win 2k.

Big mistake, or at least... big mistake witout reading http://www.roxio.com/easycd5/index.html

So, after I installed ECDC5 to my surprise I found that Win 2k would no longer start! I just hanged. (such are great fealing) I stumbled for hours trying to fix it. Then went to bed. Next morning my machine had started. Turns out there is a compatabilty problem (all explained on the website). Sure would have been great to know this before.

So now I got my patches installed, and everything seems to be working fine again, except I can no longer get my computer connected to the internet no matter what I do. (I use dial up). I tried everthing I would think of... I removed and reinstalled drivers, I created a new dialer, I even used reg cleaner... no success. I then gave up and pulled my modem out of my comp, and put it into my wifes (we use net sharing). Got internet working in a matter of mins. But, I still can not get my computer to except a net connection of any kind. All applications just think that no internet connection exisits.

I have dermined that some system file got messed up somewhere, but I have no idea what file and how to fix it, without reinstalling windows.

If any of you got any suggestions, please share.

-Tim

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I take it you reinstalled your modem as well? Did you update the drivers?
    What about the network adapter for dialup? Modem properties... so many other things like TCP/IP & client for windows etc...
    DNS # .. all these are to do with you ability to get online. Have you called your ISP ?

Savvy :)

3. tfavro

tfavro Thread Starter

>I take it you reinstalled your modem as well?

I did...

>Did you update the drivers?

Not really, just removed them and reinstalled.

>What about the network adapter for dialup?

I removed the dail up, and created a new one... I also went to the network properties, and uninstalled and reinstalled network properties. After talking to my isp for like 2 hours... we were still unable to resolve the problem.

I now have removed my modem from my computer, and have my net connection working on another machine. (networked to the one with problems) However, even with internet sharing on, net utils refuse to respond.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

So you're saying that even not utilizing your modem at all you are not connecting, even thru the networking system?? Is that correct?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've seen quite a few cases where similar problems in Win9x and ME were caused by the presence of socalled "spyware" and "foistware" which alter the Winsock.vxd keys in the registry.

The two principal buggers are Webhancer (whagent) and Newdotnet which often get installed under the cover of programs like Bearshare.

If you find any evidence of those programs in your startup files. There may be a way to fix the problem short of a reformat, but I'm out on a limb talking about Win 2k.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice