1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 2k errors galore!!! Need Serious Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by michael price, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michael price

michael price Thread Starter

ok guys,
    lets see if your up to this challange ;)

Recently i bought a computer from a lease company (lease return).
    The computer runs off of win2k.

I hacked the sam file so i could log in to the os and modify the user accounts.

Got in everything worked fine ....

started to clean up the os and uninstall the programs residing that i would not use ...
    citrix ica client, ecopy desktop, human concepts org viewer, ibm as/400 client access express, lotus notes, nici (shared), meta viewer, nmas client, novell client, novel iprint, oracle jinitiator, vnc, and zenworks aassett mgmt and desktop mgmt. I also attempted to uninstall norton av but could not it asked for an uninstall password, do i deleted the prog files.

I uninstalled some others as well but did not document (non networking programs).

Shortly after this i started getting some bad errors!!!

On startup i get userinit.exe failed to initiate ... explorer does not open ( i can open it manually via taskmgr, run, explorer.

Anytime i attempt to open most programs i get

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application "

if i try and open users and passwords from the control panel i get

" error loading c:\winnt\system32\netplwiz.dll A dynamic library initialize routine failed

If i attempt to open certain items in admin tools i get

snap-in failed to initialize Name event viewer...

i cannot even click on my c:\ hard drive....

have any clue as to what could possibly be causing this and what the heck can i do?

I do not have a disk to reinstall or else i would just do that ...
    i do have a boot disk, or should i say the password changer disk

Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. michael price

wow going on 7 hours and no reply? did i really stump you guys or did this one get lost amongst the croud?

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Well, the most surprising thing is that the company did not remove these things, or wipe the hard drive themselves. By the looks of it, I think the only thing you can do is to wipe the thing.

I understand that you don't have a Windows disk to do this, but most fixes that can be recommended (in this particular case) probably would rely heavily on it. Sorry.

4. michael price

I dont really understand that tho ...

everything was working fine before i started the uninstallation of programs.
    I was able to open all programs install programs and connect to the internet ....

i didnt run into problems until i did the uninstalls... are there any online registry checkers available ... free? i tried to install a local one but the os wont allow me to install it.

I said a free one because i just ordered a copy of slackware linux. If i cannot fix the os then i am going to just install the linux when it comes in the mail

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Well, I have heard other TSG members speak of this one: RegCleaner, although generally they don't recommend Registry cleaners on principle. I have never tried this software before, so I would wait for more knowledgable members to respond before trying it.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're likely to run into numerous problems if you continue with this installation. As you've seen, you can't uninstall the anti-virus software without a password. This is typical of corporate installs. You could go in and delete files and registry keys, but you'll only create a bigger mess.

Your best course of action is a reinstall. Clearly the company you bought this from didn't wipe the drive. That means it's likely installed with a corporate version of Windows 2000 which you don't have a license to use.

Wipe the drive and reinstall your own legal operating system.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

michael price - Since this is a lease computer I would take it back to where you leased it from and explain what was done and ask them if they can fix it for you or give you another computer. If they do either please do not go un-install crazy because from your post I think you removed a lot too much. Please do not feel bad I and a lot of other people have done the same thing so we know where you are coming from.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

What brand/model is the laptop?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice