1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2K Refuses to make New Dial-up Connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zenbob96, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenbob96

zenbob96 Thread Starter

I was called on by a friend to help setup a new modem and dial-up connection on their older HP Pavilion. This machine had a built in V.90 modem, and an existing dial-up account, which they preferred not to use.

When setting up the new dial-up account, everything proceeds normally until I reached the
    "Name Connection dialogue" and nothing, I mean nothing entered, even the default suggested connection name would work. Each entry returned an "Invalid Name" error, must have no periods, no spaces prior to the first letter, etc. message.

I also restored services, used the Windows 2000 system repair, all to no avail. The machine is running Windows 2000 with SP3, has current Avast AV and scans clean of viruses and adware pests, no exotic programs or hardware, plus most of the later individual updates, but not SP4. That is likely my next attempt, but at the time of my visit I had not brought over the SP4 update disk, and without the dial-up connection working at my friends computer, you can see why that did not happen either, not to mention on dial-up it will take hours to install, etc.

Any clues? I would prefer not to have to wipe the whole install and reinstall clean, but I am fearing that may be the only recourse.

Thanks,

Zenbob

stymied for a change!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

try instead using rasphone:
    start\run:"rasphone"\ok\new

and follow the wizard instructions for your type of a internet connection

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!