1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2k server, need disk copy program

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by randbo, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randbo

randbo Thread Starter

I just purchased a couple 147g scsi drives to replace my old 20g drives that ran out of space. What program do you recommend that can copy my C drive and D drives to the new drives.

My C drive has my operating system.

My server is an old HP Proliant with Windows Server 2000

I know Paragon can do it, but it is pricey:

My response after purchasing the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010 Suite Edition they said it will only work on a workstation platform (laptop/desktop). You would need Hard Disk Manager 2010 Server Edition in order for that to install on your Win2K server: cost $599

Any suggestions. I think I used a program before that was under $100, just can't remember what it was.

FYI, my new drives are: [Fujitsu MBA3147NP 147GB 15000 RPM
    > 8MB Cache SCSI Ultra320 68pin 3.5" Internal Hard Drive]

Thanks in advance.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You might check the support section of the hard drive manufacturers web site.
    They usually have a cloning utility that is free to download.

Sorry,looks like toshiba took over their drives.
    I don't see a clone utility there.

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

4. randbo

randbo Thread Starter

thanks, I will try that, they show the server 2003 icon, but don't list the op systems, but say it's independent of op systems. I will let you know how it works. thanks again. I guess I will need partition magic to adjust the partition after clone op.

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Some clone apps will adjust to the size of the drives.
    You might try partitioning and formatting the new drives first
    so the program can recognize the drive size.

6. Jbirk

Jbirk

Clonezilla works well for typical NTFS formatted volumes. YOu can download the CloneZilla CD and select Device-to-Device then Disk (vs. Partition) an your Source and Destination.

It will probably take about 7 minutes to copy your data. At that point, you will have a 20 GB partition on your 147GB drive, and you will need something else to resize it. Though the Windows Diskpart program can do that as long as you boot to a different disk/parition.

I.e. Add the 147 GB as a second hard drive, and after you finish copying to it, boot to the 20 GB one more time. Then, follow these steps...

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/file-systems/how-can-i-use-diskpart-to-extend-a-volume-.aspx

Now shut down and remove the 20 GB and place the 147 GB in your system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice