1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 2k User Duplication

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SJR27, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJR27

SJR27 Thread Starter

Sep 9, 2002

In Win 2k I need the ability to duplicate a user's settings multiple times with other user names (i.e. Retail Store settings for multiple users) You know how long it takes to set user settings from one to another manually. Is it as simple as creating a new user, then copying the directory structure of another user into the new user???

2. rawmeat

May 17, 1999
    No, that will not copy the settings. The easiest thing to do would be to create a profile that is applied to each user. The policy would contain all the specific rights, etc.

A possible solution would be to first save the default user hive from the registry, then save the user hive of one of the accounts that has been modified to the desired state and reload that into the default user hive. I would make sure that any home directory or other user specific keys have variables in them rather than a hardcoded path. Once all the users that need that configuration are added, you can reload the original default user hive. WARNING: This could be dangerous, only perform if you are comfortable with registry edits.:eek:
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!