1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 and KODI-Buntu - No Win Boot Option

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by doggyofone, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doggyofone

doggyofone Thread Starter

I decided to add KODI-Buntu (KODI/Ubuntu) onto a partition on my hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate already resident on the drive and working well. KODI recently replaced XBMC. Version is 14.1 Helix.

The first installation did not work well, as the video card (integrated on the motherboard) was not adequate for KODI-Buntu. The dual boot menu was there (Win 7/KODI-Bunto) and KODI-Buntu booted when selected, but errored because it determined a problem with the video card resident on the motherboard (requires a more capable video card). I booted into Win 7 formatted the Ubuntu partition as unallocated, changed the video card to an Asus/ATI HD4600 and reloaded Ubuntu. This seemed to fix the video card issue. Ubuntu as part of the install allows the user to resize the hard to allow room for Ubuntu. I provided 350 GB WIn 7 and 150 GB KODI-UBuntu.

Everything went well with the install, but when restarted the system boots directly into KODI-Ubuntu with no dual option to boot into Win 7. The KODI-Nuntu system uses GRUB2 for the boot manager.

I would greatly appreciate some help in resolving this boot issue. I would like to have the dual boot option back up and running? At this point I can't get into Win 7 (don't know how).

At this point I can't provide sysinfo. Some Machine Specs
    Win 7 Ultimate
    500 gig 5400 rpm Seagate HD
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ©) DC 1.86 GHz
    1066 MHz front side bus Socket 775
    Chipset
    Intel 945G
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Asus
    Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Leonite-GL8E
    Asus video card HD4600
    Memory
    Memory Installed 4 G
    Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
    Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Semi-Solved Boot Issue:
    This isn't completely solved, but I noticed when I booted into KODI-Buntu that there is a menu that comes up and the 4th option is "Windows 7 (Loader) and then the hard drive identifier. I selected this option and it booted me into the Windows Dual Boot window where I can select between KODI and Win 7.
    Adds an extra step, but this isn't a big deal I guess. It will always boot into KODI this way, so I'll have to hang around and select Win 7 if needed.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Lance1

Lance1

You can also use EasyBCD for Dual-Boot systems. Great tool.

4. doggyofone

doggyofone Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for my tardy response. I've been away and unable to respond. I found that I had a couple other problems with this older PC, including non-working audio integrated on the motherboard. So rather than try to fix that and no Wifi support I decided to load KODI onto a Win 8.1 64 bit machine. This was a good move, as the system now works great. KODI-Buntu seemed pretty wonky when I did run it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!