win 7 backup missing, system restre broken, no internt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

qaz112

hi

just got a netbook with win 7. system restore now is broken, backup is missing and i cant see any way to connect to wifi service. system restore and wireless connection worked before i restored to an old system restore point

thanx

qaz112

no....some error msg. the restore point i used was before several updates that previous owner made

TerryNet

Terry
Kinda silly IMO to deal with whatever a previous owner may have done. You can't make the hardware new but you sure can make the software new by installing Windows clean or a "Recover to factory defaults."

qaz112

dont know how to get factory defaults , like i said the backup was not there , anyway i have no disc. he did give me a iso copy of win 7 but i cant seem to make it into a bootable disc

imo?

TerryNet

Terry
Sounding like you do not have a genuine legal Windows.

By IMO I meant "In My Opinion."

qaz112

no, on the machine is win 7 starter and it has updates. they are ready to install , last owner let windows fetch those automatically. On the disc is win 7 ultimate which i dont know about, anyway, id rather keep the "starter" version. besides, i see now it have everything i need

would really like to get system restore working or the backup

TerryNet

Terry
The Windows 7 Ultimate is probably pirated and is not going to do you any good without a license for it (the license is probably more than the netbook is worth). And since netbooks with Windows 7 Starter are usually underpowered for Windows 7 the Ultimate version may not even run decently at all.

Check on the netbook manufacturer's web site to see if you can purchase the Windows 7 Starter Recovery DVD or USB flash drive.

If you want to pursue the Wi-Fi problem, what is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager? Some people find a screen shot to be a good way to provide the answers.

qaz112

yes i take what u say about win 7

i see wireless lan card [working ok].

before i open device manager i am asked if i want mmc.exe makes changes to computer [publisher unknown] . i also get this message at other times!

thanx

TerryNet

Terry
Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

TerryNet

Terry
For me, the Networks page is the (default) one that always opens when I run Xirrus. What are you getting?

qaz112

u lost me, whats Xirrus.

i have win 7 starter, am not familiar with win 7
thanx

TerryNet

Terry
Are you having trouble reading full sentences? That sounds kinda bad, but, really, have you read the first sentence of post # 10 the whole way to the period? And clicked on the link?

qaz112

no im not having trouble reading it, just understanding it, obviously, and i repeat i cant find xirrus wi fi inspector

more importantly i see no way to find the networks page

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online